Alliance Community
2011: We're Back!

Alliance: The Silent War

Community Forums for Alliance: The Silent War
It is currently Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:02 pm

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 6:34 am 
Recruit

Specifically for 1920*1200.

Also, will there be correct FOV support?

Will it be adding onto the horizontal or taking away from the vertical?

Thanks.

Edit: Sorry, I just found this post.

Either way, I would still like to know HOW it is supported pertaining to adding picture onto the horizontal, or taking away viewing area by cutting the vertical picture. And FOV, will it be automatic, set manually, or non-existent?

Thanks again!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 2:48 pm 
Four Star General

The FOV will probably not be controllable by the player, as it would skew certain things especially in multiplayer.

We haven't finalized which dimension will translate primarily to the FOV, as it could adversely affect the game balance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:17 pm 
Sergeant Major

Great question. I use a 23" widescreen, so i really want to see support for widescreen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 6:54 am 
Recruit

Sox34 wrote:
The FOV will probably not be controllable by the player, as it would skew certain things especially in multiplayer.

We haven't finalized which dimension will translate primarily to the FOV, as it could adversely affect the game balance.

Well, I do not see how this could adversely effect multiplayer. Many games allow people to manually change the FOV (either in the GUI, or a file), most notably games on the Unreal engine.

Could you please give me an explanation/example for this thought?

Also, it really is a myth that having widescreen monitors/correct FOV gives advantages...It just envelopes you in the experience.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:30 am 
Four Star General

Having an overall larger field of view, especially extra horizontal vision is better than not. We will probably decide that it's not a big enough advantage to limit the horizontal fovy for widescreen monitors (we don't currently limit it), but we'd like to get some testing in before making that determination one way or the other.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 3:07 pm 
Sergeant Major

I want to see in 360 degrees... lol j/k

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:22 pm 
Master Sergeant

Full Surround? mmmmm

My opinion on the matter (as a 24in widescreen gamer) is that it should be Hor +

I've noticed in games that choose to do vertical choping that the mouse movement just feels weird.

The tactical advantage isn't that great espcially when compared to the difference between a good sound system and a poor one. Besides if you wanna drudge up the inequality and unfairness of having low end hardware don't forget to purposely not support newer video cards, and cpu's and broadband.. put a limiter so that resolutions can't go beyond 800X600 with low details and limit framerates to 60fps that way people with newer pc's wont have any advantage over older pc's. Audio should probably be limited to sterio, or mono, or not even included since only about 1 in 10 actually listen for enemy movements anyhow. :p The server end software should increase lag to people with faster connections so that everyone gets averaged out to the slowest connecting gamer.

:wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:16 pm 
Four Star General

That's not quite a fair comparison.

There is a significantly larger tactical advantage to being able to see more of the world at the same time (fov-wise) than to having a resolution advantage. The same goes for most of the other points and network lag can be compensated for by the server in a way that doesn't help the lagging party (note that I'm not saying hurts, just not helps).

We will be supporting all of the standard monitor resolutions (widescreen or not), including the fact that they'll have different visible fovs. However, arbitrarily letting the user set their fov to whatever they want or allowing wrap around sets of monitors in multiplayer skews the tactical balance way too much.

Like I said, we may allow limited fov tweaking for players (depending on how beta testing reveals that it affects the balance of the game), but we will probably not support the ability to arbitrarily set your fov to any value that you want.

Singleplayer doesn't have to be as restrictive though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 2:52 pm 
Sergeant First Class

Sox34 wrote:
That's not quite a fair comparison.

There is a significantly larger tactical advantage to being able to see more of the world at the same time (fov-wise) than to having a resolution advantage. The same goes for most of the other points and network lag can be compensated for by the server in a way that doesn't help the lagging party (note that I'm not saying hurts, just not helps).

We will be supporting all of the standard monitor resolutions (widescreen or not), including the fact that they'll have different visible fovs. However, arbitrarily letting the user set their fov to whatever they want or allowing wrap around sets of monitors in multiplayer skews the tactical balance way too much.

Like I said, we may allow limited fov tweaking for players (depending on how beta testing reveals that it affects the balance of the game), but we will probably not support the ability to arbitrarily set your fov to any value that you want.

Singleplayer doesn't have to be as restrictive though.

Yeah being able to "adjust" fov is definately gonna cause some balance issues. Whether or not anybody agrees wih me on most gaming ladders it is considered cheating and will get you banned from ladder play. I know in all Punkbuster games (fps's that is) there is a CVAR check for it. If you alterered your fov you automatically get kicked or banned from the server.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 3:04 pm 
Sergeant First Class

DEFkon wrote:
[img]
Audio should probably be limited to sterio, or mono, or not even included since only about 1 in 10 actually listen for enemy movements anyhow. :p
:wink:

Only 1 and 10 listen for enemy movements? Apparently you don't play any too many tac-sim type games. Sound is everything. Being able to hear your enemy running on the other side of a wall or open a door gives you a hint to his/her position. Of course if someone wants to use retard tactics and just run around, be my guest, I'll win 9 out of 10 times.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 5:22 am 
Private

Like 2 or 3 of the above users, I am also currently running 1920 x 1200 widescreen (native).