Headlines
Movies
Screenshots
Alliance Community
2011: We're Back!

Alliance: The Silent War

Community Forums for Alliance: The Silent War
It is currently Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:50 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 235 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: Zombies Part 2
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 5:23 pm 
Captain

Talk about zombies.....or else......you dont get cake.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 5:45 pm 
2nd Lieutenant

but i don't like cake

Sox's assistant and the number one grunt of the NZG
don't mess with a nation that needs medication

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 6:19 pm 
Captain

well THAT IS JUST TO BAD NOW ISNT IT?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 8:50 pm 
Major General

Let's discuss some possibilities for superb Zombie weapons.

I still think an M1 Carbine with a 30 round magazine is quite possibly one of the best all around weapons for fighting the undead. It's light, reliable, accurate, has enough power to drop a zombie in one or two shots, the ammo is relatively inexspensive and common, and is simple to operate.

For a full sized rifle, I'd use my Mauser with the 20 round magazine and a large varmint scope. I would also only use soft point rounds for ultimate destruction.

I will say, that the Webley, along with any other revolver, is a horrible zombie weapon. A SOCOM or Para Ordinance P14-.45 are probably some of the best choices for sidearms. I think that both of them can have silencers (I now the SOCOM can, but I'm not 100% on the P14-45).

For a blade type weapon, I'd take a nice hand axe. Medium sized, so it's not too heavy and bulky.

Discuss your preferred weapons.

The Maxim gun, and they have not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:17 am 
Major General

I agree with the mauser being a supurb zombie killing weapon at long range.

As a standard weapon, I would take a 12 gauge shotgun, like a Saiga, for its magazine capacity, which makes loading a lot faster, and its semi-automatic so you can unload in a short period of time. For ammo, Id take deer slugs, 000 buckshot (even 00) for close ranges. Someone mentioned that buckshot would be worthless, I think thats untrue. Against alive and intact people, it extremely deadly, and against a decomposing zombie, the lead balls that can be up to .36in in diameter, would be extremey effective at close range. Esspecially if they are magnum loads.

I would also like to have a crossbow, in the event that the zombies are attracted to sound, it could be used to kill some in a silent fasion, if one wants to mantain a low profile.

An AR-15 rifle with soft-tipped or hollow point ammunition. A laser sight would be preferable in order to quickly engage targets. The AR-15 is pretty light, the .223 ammo is common, and it it reliable.

For a bladed weapon, a sharp pole would be handy, so one doesnt have to be extremely close to the zombie in order to hack away at it.

Id also make some pipe bombs if I knew how... shrapnel = zombie pwmage
(Good job on making this thread too Bigdaddy 8-) )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:46 am 
Major General

I don't know why, but I have the strangest recollection that soft nose ammo has trouble loading into AR15's, but I might be wrong.

As for the pole you suggested, what happens when the zombies get in close?

Pipe bomb (along with any sort of explosive) are lose. They just splatter everything, and it might not completely kill the zombie (it has to get hit in the head). What would probably happen is that youd' get splattered with zombie blood, and you might get some in an oriface of your body, and then turn into a zombie. Not a good idea. I think it should only be used in desperation. Perhaps if you are surrounded by Zombies, you could strap a pipe bomb (or equivalent) to yourself and 1. Take as many of those rotting corpses with you 2. Die a less terrifying death.

I'd also like to add the following to my arsenal:

-The Browning Magnum A5 with a giant Cutt's Compensator.
-Ruger Mk.I Pistol (silenced version). Very good at close range, becuase the .22 bullet will rattle around in the zombie's head.
-Browning GP-35 Hi-Power (with tangent sights).

Now for clothes/armour.

What I have right now:
Full BDU set with a WWI steel pot helmet (helmets are pretty much useless against zombies, but I'm still taking it). Either my casual oxfords or military issue boots (oxfords are way more comfortable, but boots are more rugged). My backpack for arms, ammo, and supplies. Paintball goggles to help gaurd against blood from entering the eyes (and some prtoection against entering the mouth).

What I'd like to have:
Full, black wetsuit (from a hood to boots to gloves). It's tight so the zombies can't grab ahold of loose clothing, it's quiet because it's made of neoprene, it's warm, it's comfortable for the most part, and it's not constricting. A pair of tactical goggles. A holster for my Browning Hi Power. An A5 Magnum on my back with a sling. An M1 Carbine converted to the Para style. A small utility bag in which I would store magazines for the M1 and GP-35, a box of 3 1/2" mag 000 buckshot, a box of 3 1/2" mag slugs, magazines for my GP-35, and a nightvision monocle. I will have a CamelBak on my back as well to keep hydrated.

I would barricade my house, but have an access passage that would be kept locked and barred at all times. Inside is enough rice, Ramen noodles, bottled water, and propane to last a whole year. I will have propane stoves and solar panels on my roof to provide basic electricity. Windows will all by covered by a double layer of plywood. My armoury (located on the second floor) will have 100,000 rounds of 9mm (hollow points, mind you), 10,000 round of mixed 8mm ammo (some soft point, some FMJ), 100,000 rounds of .30 Carbine ammo (in FMJ, since it is more readily availible), 10,000 rounds of 3 1/2" magnum 000 buckshot, 10,000 round of 3 1/2" magnum slugs, several magazines of varying capacity for my GP-35, my Mauser G98 with a 50mm objective lens varmint scope, varying bayonets for my Mauser and M1, various Webleys (and about 1,000 round for .38 and .455, respectively) and their accessories, cleaning kits and fluids, reloading supplies and gun powder, high explosives and coffee tins for making "jam tin" grenades.

If the zombies do gain enterance to my house, I will go upstairs and destroy the stairs, and wait it out.

I've been thinking about this for a while ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 1:15 am 
2nd Lieutenant

see this is the kinda stuff that happends when you have way to much free time on your hands

i've never planed out a zombie attack plan myself i was too busy planing out a werewolf attack and an android attack :lol:

Sox's assistant and the number one grunt of the NZG
don't mess with a nation that needs medication

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:28 pm 
Four Star General

Destroying the stairs is key. However, you'd be better off acquiring a multi-level concrete house in a slightly less safe part of town, such that it comes with steel bars around all its windows. Thus the only real structural investment you'd have to make would be in some kind of reinforced doors, preferably fully metal. This combined with making sure all trees and brush in close proximity to your new bunker would offer you excellent protection from the dreaded flaming zombie that could otherwise accidentally set your safe haven on fire.

Additionally, I'd invest in some good solar powered infrastructure with beefy battery backup. Off of this, I could power a small electric stove and portable antena based tv plus transistor radio (to keep track of the success / failure of the rest of humanity).

Obviously you need to make sure that you have enough canned food, ramen, and water to last a long enough siege for your climate, so hopefully you live in a hot and humid environment. In this case, assuming a near total zombie conversion you'd have to plan for a siege of at least 2-3 months after the majority of the human population has been converted, to ensure enough time for full zombie decomposition. Then your main concern would be the stragglers, against which you'd at least stand a chance.

My choice of armament would be a combination of:

An MP5-SD with a semi and two round burst trigger group (specifically the SD, as it doesn't require subsonic rounds to be silent due to the drilled barrell, and 9mm para ammo is plentiful) and truckloads of 9mm hollow point and ball ammunition.

An AR15 based varmint or match rifle with good optics (normal, star-light, and thermal, with the latter being useful for finding survivors), as they can be very accurate and can fire from high capacity mags of plentiful .223 ammuntion. Alternately, the latter two types of scopes could be replaced with goggles that serve the same purpose.

Ideally a silenced .22 pistol, but if the extra pool of another type of ammunition is too much of a burden, than an M9 such that I could reuse the 9mm ammunition from the MP5.

Finally a good sturdy machete (no serrated blades) to round out the arsenal, as it mixes just the right size and length of cutting blade without being unweildy. Though it might lack the skull puncturing power of an axe, it would be much easier to use effectively.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:38 pm 
Major General

darkdragon wrote:
see this is the kinda stuff that happends when you have way to much free time on your hands

i've never planed out a zombie attack plan myself i was too busy planing out a werewolf attack and an android attack :lol:

Nonsense! Werewolfs are pure science fiction... zombies however are a real and serious threat.

Right, if a zombie got close to me, and I had the pole, I would simply hold the pole closer to the point, or beat the bloody thing over the head.

Good point about pipebombs... never thought about that.

Unfortuantely, my house is not well suited to be barracaded. In the rear side of the house, there are two big sliding glass doors, that lead out to the small pool, and an iron rod fence, which hopefully would let me scan out the are. The school I go to is behind my house, there is a gate that openes up to a big field and track for the school. So I would barricade the sliding glass doors with the surplus of wood in the garage, being careful to allow a small gap in the wood in the event that I need to escape. For food, there would be lots of ramen, and canned foods, with plenty of water. I would store most of my weapons in the attic, which is quite large, and cut several windows in it so I could have fields of fire down the length of the street. There would be several generators in the attic to suply power, with ventelation above them so I wont die from the emmisions. In the event of my house being overrun, I would grab all the neccisary supplies, cram them into a bag, and then get the guns. Then Id try to thin out the crowds of zombies that are in the field between the house and the school, then make a break for the schools roof. A ladder had already been set up leading up to the roof.

For clothes, Id wear some of my cargo shorts, they are loose, and not hard to run in. A hoodie would also be worn over a shirt in the event that it got cold. (No fancy wetsuits for me :D )

As for ammo, there are several buckets full of 12 gauge shells in the various closets of the house. I would load as many magazines for my Saiga shotgun as I could, dumping the rest of the shells into a laundry bag of sorts.

From there I would wait it out. Eating the loads of food that is at the school.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:56 pm 
Four Star General

Spiffinz wrote:
darkdragon wrote:

Nonsense! Werewolfs are pure science fiction... zombies however are a real and serious threat.

I agree. Why would you waste precious and potentially life-saving planning time on fictitious threats like werewolves and androids when zombie outbreaks have and will continue to occur?

Many of us are already prepared for the next one; you should as well. Remember, the most important things are to make sure that you have contingency plans for all possibilities as well as proper supplies. Gathering supplies and figuring out how to survive once an outbreak has already occurred is extremely difficult and should be avoided at all costs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 2:35 pm 
Major General

darkdragon wrote:

That's the kind of thinking that gets you killed/zombified in the event of an outbreak.

I just thought of this:

http://www.neptunic.com/sharksuits_nemo2.htm

Yep, a shark suit. If it can withstand the bite of a shark, it'll withstand the bite of a zombie. They probably weigh quite a bit (i'd say 70 pounds), but if your house is invaded, just slip it on, and push your way out. The helmet protects your entire head, and the mail protects the rest of your body.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 2:48 pm 
Staff Sergeant

Best gear to bring to a zombie fight:

Primary:

Colt M4A1 with an EOTech 553 HOLOSight, mag attached via magholder to the telescoping stock.

Secondary:

H&K USP45T w/ tritium night sights.

Knife:

KA-BAR Warthog w/ Kydex sheath.

Gear:

Underarmor Undershirt
5.11 Tactical Khaki Cargo Pants
5.11 Tactical Polo
5.11 ATAC 8" Side-Zip Boots
Blackhawk DOAV Rifleman Vest
Blackhawk Hellstorm SOLAG Gloves
Blackhawk Drop-Leg SERPA Holster

Yep.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 3:26 pm 
Four Star General

DerMann wrote:
If it can withstand the bite of a shark, it'll withstand the bite of a zombie.

Shades of "If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball." :)

I have to say, the shark suit is a tempting proposition and deserves some serious consideration from the community.

It would definitely keep you alive in the short term, but it would take some field testing (we need to find some guinea pigs, though I already have a couple of people in mind) to determine whether the reduced mobility would just make you get trapped under a sea of zombies and simply die from starvation or dehydration. It could be a workable proposition for when the shit really hits the fan.

Alternately, we could look into some custom designed zombie suits. They could be much lighter if made from materials designed specifically to withstand all zombie bites while leaving you sadly vulnerable to zombie sharks (a menace not usually considered, despite its extreme deadliness ;) ). All zombie shark joking aside, in all seriousness I think we should band together and start marketing zombie suits.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 3:34 pm 
Major General

Sox, you sir, are a genius. When I get around to forming the National Zombie Guard, a national millitia of sorts, you get to be second in command. (yes, there are fringe benefits, like full access to the stockpile of Kool-Aid)

Ill tell ya what we can do to test the custom zombie suit, is we get a volunteer.. say... I dunno.. Bigdaddy, and lock him in a room full of hyper 4th graders. If he manages to fend them off and not get bitten, its zombie proof. He will also have to make his way out of the door too of course. How easy it is for him to acomplish that will be used to measure mobility.

So whaddya thing Bigdaddy? Youll get a waffle if you agree :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 3:37 pm 
Four Star General

That's a brilliant idea Corporal Spiffinz! Though I'd still push for a live zombie trial afterwards. Mirroring the animal testing -> human testing proceedure of the FDA with a 4th grader testing -> zombie testing policy would afford us the utmost confidence in our zombie suits' protection capabilities.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 3:40 pm 
Major General

Very true Sox, although, seeing as how there hasnt been a zombie outbreak in a while, there arent any zombies walking around that we can grab and use. And if the suit cant stand up to 4th graders, it cant stand up to zombies.

Hyper 4th graders can bite hard... I learned the hard way :(

But thats neither here nor there... Now.. what are some possible materials the suits could be made of? Aluminum mesh could work, or braided kevlar.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 4:37 pm 
Four Star General

There was a recent outbreak in Korea, which was kept very hush hush. Let's just say that there are still some "specimens" in their hands and that I have a source, so a live trial could be arranged.

As for the more important materials question, we could go with a tiered system, where a cheaper but still effective version was made out of aluminum, but a fancier version was made out of a stronger alloy or woven kevlar (or equivalent).

Further considerations for metal based solutions would be using dark, matte materials to avoid reflecting of light, and making sure that it doesn't clink or audibly scrape when you move. I would investigate the possibility of bonding an extremely thin layer of some rubber like material to each individual link, though this would probably not be feasible, even with a flexible budget.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:19 pm 
Major General

Sox34 wrote:
Further considerations for metal based solutions would be using dark, matte materials to avoid reflecting of light, and making sure that it doesn't clink or audibly scrape when you move. I would investigate the possibility of bonding an extremely thin layer of some rubber like material to each individual link, though this would probably not be feasible, even with a flexible budget.

Well, we could coat the links with melted rubber, much like wire, the outside is covered in rubber, while there is still strong metal in the inside.

Large baches could be dipped into vats, and then set out to dry. Excess could be trimmed off. Of course, it would be hard to keep the layer of rubber or plastic "thin".

Now for the layout, I think that this material should be made into a suit that covers the arms, legs, and groin. On the torso, a SWAT or millitary style kevlar vest should be worn, in the event that some crazed bystandard thinks you are a zombie and shoots. The extra pockets and such would also come in handy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:28 pm 
Major General

Sox34 wrote:
DerMann wrote:
If it can withstand the bite of a shark, it'll withstand the bite of a zombie.

Shades of "If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball." :)

I have to say, the shark suit is a tempting proposition and deserves some serious consideration from the community.

It would definitely keep you alive in the short term, but it would take some field testing (we need to find some guinea pigs, though I already have a couple of people in mind) to determine whether the reduced mobility would just make you get trapped under a sea of zombies and simply die from starvation or dehydration. It could be a workable proposition for when the shit really hits the fan.

Alternately, we could look into some custom designed zombie suits. They could be much lighter if made from materials designed specifically to withstand all zombie bites while leaving you sadly vulnerable to zombie sharks (a menace not usually considered, despite its extreme deadliness ;) ). All zombie shark joking aside, in all seriousness I think we should band together and start marketing zombie suits.

We have not to worry of zombie sharks, because everyone knows that the Solanum virus just kills anything but humans, therefore, we need not worry on zombie sharks ;)

As for the zombie suit, it should be breathable, light enough to allow the user to comfortably wear it for extended periods of time, flexable enough to engage in fighting of different sorts, resistant to zombie bites, and for the most part, water proof.

Perhaps a suit made of four layers layers of neoprene/rubber with a layer of aluminium or titanium scales inbetween the layers of neoprene/rubber. The neoprene/rubber layers serve as a "silencer", if you will, as well as a comfort layer (I can't imagine metal scales feel good on the skin).

Here's what the layers would be like:

oooooooooooooooooooooooooo
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
------------------------------------
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Key:

o = neoprene/rubber layer approximately 5mm thick (note, this layer will be of a denser substance).
> = layer of aluminium (or if possible titanium) scales in pattern A
- = Very thin layer of neoprene/rubber (abouty 1mm thick, at most)
< = layer of aluminium (or titanium) scales in pattern B
0 = Layer of neoprene/rubber layer approximately 6.5mm thick (note, this layer will be more spongy and softer)

As you can see, the scales are arranged in two patterns (A and B, respectively). Let's say that patter A has scales like this (please ignore the ---'s, I had to use them cause the forums was deleting my spaces):

--####--####---####---####
-#-----#-#-----#--#-----#--#-----#
#------##-------##-------##-------#

And Pattern B has scales like this:

#-------##------##-------##-------#
-#-----#-#-----#--#-----#-#------#
--####--####---####---####

Therefore, the scales will overlap and give much more protcetion. Each scale will be 3mm thick.

The boots will be made of thick neoprene/rubber with a side zipper, and will come up past the ankle. It will have a metal arch-support, toe, and heel. There will be removeable metal plates the run from just above the base of the foot to the top of the boot. Gloves with be made of the same material, and will have metal plates on the back of the hand, and jointed plates on the fingers (only on the back side ), and they will zip onto the sleves.

The helmet will be completely enclosed, and will have a large bullet proof sliding face-plate. There will be mountings for a flashlight/nightvision. It will be constructed of titanium and other composites. There will be a built in headset with connections for a radio. I will be zippered on, and will have a velcro ziipper guard.

Last edited by DerMann on Mon Aug 14, 2006 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 6:29 pm 
Major General

Wow, you really thought this through.. you get to be head of zombie suit manufacturing in the National Zombie Guard, Dermann.

I think that using titanium instead of aluminum would make these suits pretty expensive to make, and a lot more heavy.

As for the helmets, I dont see the need to have titanium in them. I think that aluminum or composites like you said would be fine. Or maybe they could be made out of layers of kevlar, like the ones used in the millitary. That would make them a lot lighter, and better suited for high mobility.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 235 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next