Screenshots
Alliance Community
2011: We're Back!

Alliance: The Silent War

Community Forums for Alliance: The Silent War
It is currently Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:30 am

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:20 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel

Now in case some of you didn't instantly figure out what this is about, allow me to explain. Im touching upon weapon sounds here. There are usually two types of games in this department. Those that make an effort to distinguish their weapons by sound (call of duty for example) and those who focus on using the sound to give the weapons some more oomph. So, the question that I want to put to my fellow alliance fans is which one you'de prefer.

Personally, I would go with the second. What weapon you are being shot with is usually a lot more important in arcadey games because of the "artificial" balancing. The maps are tiny and for that reason something like an smg is useless at ranges beyond 20 meters. So, it's critical to your strategy to be able to know what weapon is being used against you.

I'de prefer alliance used "real" gun sounds. I've dreamed of an fps game that delivers firefights on the same level as the famous shootout scene in heat, where you can feel every found that is fired off
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZL9fnVtz_lc

Many contemporary games just don't do a very convincing job of making me feel like im using a real firearm. They feel more like airsoft guns. I mean, take the Uzi from mw2. I havent fired the real thing before but I doubt that's how it sounds. I never use silencers in most games (even though they often give you a huge advantage) because they further water down the sound produced by the weapon.

This is how a silenced weapon should sound
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mF8d0XcWSVw

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:18 pm 
Four Star General

We intend to always use real recordings. If we're unable get access to a weapon to actually record it in time, we'll use a placeholder *until* we can get a real recording.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:42 am 
Major General

Most firearms produce roughly the same report, that is there's very little difference between an M4 and an L85, as they have similar barrel lengths and fire the same cartridge.

Now, between weapon to weapon there may be little nuanced sounds that result from the particular design of the weapon.

While it's reasonable to expect different sounds for different weapons, the intensity of the sound sort of prohibits fine tuning.

The Maxim gun, and they have not.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:38 am 
Lieutenant Colonel

AllianceEric wrote:
We intend to always use real recordings. If we're unable get access to a weapon to actually record it in time, we'll use a placeholder *until* we can get a real recording.

Oh wow, that's really cool. So the guns will really sound like the real thing. Doesn't get much better than that. :)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:01 pm 
Captain

DerMann wrote:
Most firearms produce roughly the same report, that is there's very little difference between an M4 and an L85, as they have similar barrel lengths and fire the same cartridge.

Now, between weapon to weapon there may be little nuanced sounds that result from the particular design of the weapon.

While it's reasonable to expect different sounds for different weapons, the intensity of the sound sort of prohibits fine tuning.

+1

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:14 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel

Many games artificially make each weapon sound different and I suppose that this is because they want to make you be able to figure out which kit you are facing. I'de much rather have true to life sound effects. Nothing would make me feel more like im in a real firefight. Man some of the weapons in COD games sound so underwhelming especially the silenced weapons. Using a silenced weapon makes it even easier to get kills but it's not really something I like to equip simply because it takes away what little intensity there already was. I used to think suppressors make guns completely silent, but after watching some videos on youtube it still looks like you need ear protection.

A few months ago, me and my family were up in the mountains and there was a gun range a few miles away and when they started throwing rounds downrange, my immediate thought (well aside from "I wanna go shoot some guns") was basically why can't guns in games sound like that? I really loved the firefight in heat and I wish more games took the same audio approach.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZL9fnVtz_lc

I wish more guns in games sounded that amazing.