Screenshots
Alliance Community
2011: We're Back!

Alliance: The Silent War

Community Forums for Alliance: The Silent War
It is currently Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:07 am

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:06 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel

After watching many zombie movies (well almost everyone one), I decided to start a zombie mod of my own. I've always been loved zombie movies, but the endings always kind of seemed somewhat.. well hopeless hopeless. So the survivors some how manage to make it to safety, but then what? Unless someone miraculously discovers a cure, things aren't going back to the way they were before. Society as we know has vanished and all of humanity has essentially been dropped back to the stone age. The odds seem very grim as I see it.

Sure, the survivors can hole up in an abandoned building, but how long is that going to last? Sooner or later, the zombies are going to break through the barricade or your supplies are gonna run out. When you add in the uber small ratio of non zombified human beings to the living dead, humanity's chances of making it in the long term seem like they would work out to almost nothing. In most cases, the living dead span the entire globe, so there is no where that the survivors can go where the risk of zombification isn't present.

I wanted to depict a variation of the standard zombie outbreak where humanity actually actually has some chance of surviving. Since no place on the globe is safe, what about somewhere that isn't on the planet? Basically, the gist of things is that the government carries out a planet wide evacuation on the day the living dead rise. Usually the government is portrayed as completely helpless and I wanted to create something that runs contrary to that. The population of the world is evacuated to an giant ark, which the government has been constructing in secret for several centuries. Of course, not everything goes as planned. Some people don't get picked up and once you actually get to the ark, you find out that a number of zombies made it onto the ship, and that not all of the ark was fully constructed (so there will be things like power outages.)

The mod will start out several hundred, set in Europe. This will be where the back story for things is laid out. It will be set during the dark ages, but with an underground movement that works to advance technology to oppose the religious authority of the time. So, they will have things like electricity. Protecting the organization from infiltration by authorities will be one thing that will come into play here (still have alot of stuff to work out.) But the critical part of this is where there is basically some disagreement in this underground over ethical practices and small number of people split off from the rest and establish themselves as a separate organization. They start messing with the occult (Im a huge fan of the supernatural) and an one experiment gone wrong leads to an entrance to hell being opened. They succeed in closing it, but not before things come through from the other side. The gateway will be reopened from the other side in another few hundred years.

The mod will then take you through various parts of history as paranormal activity increases as the earth's expiration date draws near. For example, you might be a wealthy patron in the 1800s who is walking home at night and notices eerie figures in the windows of buildings. Finally, you step into the shoes of an ordinary person in the near future (~2060) and find yourself in a world full of mysterious disappearances and political conspiracies. You return home from work one day to find every news channel talking around strange storms. You fall asleep after drinking some bourbon and wake up the next morning to find out that all hell has literally broken loose. Fires in the streets. Otherworldly creatures from hell roam the earth (in addition to the dead.) Your task is now to get to the ark in any way possible, using ordinary things as weapons (not going to be too many traditional weapons.) All the while, the ark will be hitting the biggest concentrations of zombies from orbit (so there are really two dangers.) The world will be almost completely dark most of the time (so your flashlight will be your most trusty friend.)

Enemies will consist of your standard garden variety shambling undead in addition to silent hill type baddies. Heck, Pinhead from Hellraiser might even make a special appearance. :)

At the moment, im looking for basically everything.. coders, level design, etc.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:31 am 
Lieutenant Colonel

No thoughts?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:23 am 
Four Star General

Probably not the right community for this, *yet*. Once we've released and have mod tools out I suspect we'll need an entire forum dedicated to mod talk.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:20 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel

Well, the mod is for Half Life 2. :)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:58 pm 
Recruit

Maybe I shouldn't say anything here since some time has passed from the last post, but I wanted to point that if the mod is a total conversion of half-life 2, then everyone can play it as source sdk base is now free since team fortress 2 went Free 2 play.

And if it uses Half-Life 2 death-match as base, you could try Ati and Nvidia steam's offers clicking on the corresponding name of your graphics card, if it isn't outdated, you should get half-life 2 death-match for free, which would make yourself able to play even not only total conversions of the source engine, but partial conversions based on HL2:DM.

Again hope this helps, see you all soon, and have fun :wink: