Screenshots
Alliance Community
2011: We're Back!

Alliance: The Silent War

Community Forums for Alliance: The Silent War
It is currently Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:16 am

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:02 pm 
Major General

I was quite excited for this episode mostly because I wasn't quite sure whom to root for. I vaguely remember mentioning last week that they ought to do an episode with TR, and now...

For Teddy, they had:
Gatling Gun*
Krag Jorgensen Carbine in .30-06*
and a Bowie knife of sorts

Lawrence of Arabia wielded:
Vickers Gun
Enfield No.I Mk.III in .303*
and the curved Arabian dagger typical for Arabia*

(*=advantage, rifles were deemed even)

This episode is what I'd like to call 'bull shit.'

First and foremost, they gave the edge to the Gatling gun because the Vickers jammed a couple of times. They failed to mention its extremely extensive service record - and the fact that the Maxim made the Gatling obsolete before the turn of the century. Gatling guns were much less mobile - being mounted on literal artillery carriages, unlike the Vickers which could be dismantled and moved much more easily. The Vickers' accuracy at extreme range, extreme reliability, and its endurance also played no role in the final decision. Not to mention the cartridge the Vickers fires is far more advanced than the old 19th century cartridges coming out of the Gatling gun. I think the Vickers was one of the first machine guns that standardised the use of boat tail projectiles.

Second, the Krag is a fine rifle, but not a worthy adversary to the Enfield SMLE. The reason the US switched to the Springfield '03 was because of how horrible out matched the American soldiers were against the Spanish and their Mausers. The Krag was adapted because of its slow reload rate, as it was thought that the slower rate of fire would force soldiers to take more careful shots. This was quickly dropped after the Span.-Am. War. In the show, the SMLE finished much faster, as was expected. But somehow a .303 (7.7x56mm) round in a heavier, longer rifle causes MORE recoil than a .30-06 (7.62x63mm) in a lighter, shorter rifle. I don't even want to begin to think of how they came up with that decision. The SMLE is simply a better combat rifle than the Krag - higher ROF, better accuracy, larger magazine, and faster reload.

Again they took into consideration the physical attributes of the men themselves. TR was both taller and heavier than Lawrence, but Lawrence could endure more than many Bedouin. Really, TR never had much of a tactical mind - his greatest accomplishment was a head-on charge. Lawrence took a greatly separated group of Arab tribes, with no training whatsoever, united them under one banner, and was able not only to topple the fortress city of Aqaba, but also the great city of Damascus.

I was utterly disappointed with the results of this episode.

Next episode is Ivan the Terrible vs. Hernan Cortes. Seems like a decent match up, but just looking on Wikipedia, seems they're sticking to the three weapons per side and more emphasis on the arbitrary x-factors.

The Maxim gun, and they have not.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:43 am 
Private

While this is all true, you forget the fact that the laws of physics and matter don't apply to Teddy Roosevelt, and that merely the sight of him would cause any of his enemies to flee or surrender, for they know that none of their mortal means of killing could possibly get past his manly chest. But for the sake of the show, they had to disregard these facts to make it a bit fairer...

Also, the reason the .303 cause more recoil than the .30-06 is because of the man holding the rifle. With Teddy Roosevelt there is no such thing as recoil. :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:06 pm 
Major General

The man in the episode was not TR unfortunately <:\

The Maxim gun, and they have not.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:28 am 
Captain

Exactly why I don't watch that show.