Screenshots
Alliance Community
2011: We're Back!

Alliance: The Silent War

Community Forums for Alliance: The Silent War
It is currently Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:45 pm

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:16 pm 
Corporal

Well today's match up was the great conqueror Genghis Khan, who ruled a quarter of the world itself through insane cavalry tactics and marksmanship with the bow vs. the Carthangian general Hannibal, who kicked Rome's ass with war elephants.

Genghis Khan ended up winning as I predicted. Sorry, but while your elephant may be great for shock and awe tactics, they are NOT a game changer. The recurve bow is far more flexible and deadlier in the right hands. The bow can be used in your tactics and your men at your command. Elephants have a mind of their own, can only run in straight lines, are easily spooked (thus turned against your own men), and slow. That was highly reflected in the simulation. You can't compare with a weapon that changed warfare.

What are your thoughts?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:27 pm 
Major General

I don't know why, but this episode seemed like it had already been done. I looked it up and I guess I was thinking of the Atilla the Hun vs. Alexander the Great episode.

Since I'm a bit of a Romanophile, I disliked Hannibal intensely. On the show, he was really out matched by Genghis Khan. Really, I wouldn't even consider Hannibal a suitable match. Sure he invaded Italy through the Alps and destroyed 80,000 Legionnaires at Cannae, but it took him so long to get to that point, not to mention that he completely avoided the siege of Rome, that Scipio Africanus pulled the classic "all your base are belong to us" and sacked the hell out of Carthage with Hannibal's absence.

I'll give credit where credit is due. Genghis Khan was a great military mind, he had great equipment, and he accomplished so much in his lifetime - only stopping when he died. I'm not much for Eastern history, but he definitely deserved to win.

It was a bit odd, I think, that they gave the advantage to the Carthaginian spear deal over the Mongolian lance. I can't remember for sure, but I think that same lance was used on the Atilla the Hun episode and was part of the reason why they won on that episode. The lance creates a much larger wound and seems to be more practical than the seemingly limited soliferrum (it's a thin rod of metal :\.

I'm excited about the next episode, though - Saddam Hussein vs. Pol Pot. I'm rooting for Saddam lol.

The Maxim gun, and they have not.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:39 pm 
Corporal

haha i dont care about the next episode at all. In fact, i think it has to be one of the most stupidest match ups to date. Like really, asshole dictators who sit on their asses giving orders to exterminate their own defenseless people are now considered "warriors"? Since when did this become "Deadliest Dipshit Bully?" I understand they were former soldiers but give me a break. They are NOT in the same league as Navy Seals, samurais, knights, etc. I hate them both, so the best scenario for me is that they both somehow die and it's a draw.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:04 pm 
Major General

Pol Pot was crazy, but Saddam Hussein was crazy like a fox... that has been huffing paint.

I should have been a little more clear with what I meant. As a whole, I think Deadliest Warrior is a great idea, but it's poorly executed (Spike). Most of the tests are done in a completely unscientific manner (e.g., especially with melee weapons, the test for Team A is completely different than the test for Team B). This new season is a little better in that they're taking more things into account and the results are a little more palatable, but the presence of 'Mack' makes me want to create a tunnel between my ears with a handgun.

One thing I really don't like about this new season is that they've started making leaders fight one another. While Washington, Napoleon, Genghis Khan, etc... were all present on the battlefield, apart from tactical leadership, they didn't do that much.

The only reason I'm excited about the next episode is that it's almost guaranteed to be excessively entertaining.

I don't watch Deadliest Warrior for the information, most of it is garbage. I have to forget most of what I know, suspend disbelief constantly, and remember to look at the Spike icon in the bottom right corner of the screen. It's only enjoyable for an entertainment, as far as science and scholarship goes, it makes me rage.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:12 pm 
Corporal

Hahaha you are absolutely spot on. Mack I think, on the other hand, is hilarious with his weird ass "whispering" voice. This show is primarily meant for entertainment. It's a sad shame stupid kids these days take this show at face value and think it's all tried and true. "nuh uh you're wrong bob, the spartan would totally rape the ninja because it's been 'scientifically proven' on this tv show" I also don't like that this season is almost FULL of named warriors, i liked it better with generic ones.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:41 pm 
Four Star General

Quote:
but the presence of 'Mack' makes me want to create a tunnel between my ears with a handgun.

Bahahaha, I haven't been watching this season. Is this Mack from FeatureWeapons??

If so, God save us all.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:45 pm 
Corporal

AllianceAsi wrote:
Quote:
but the presence of 'Mack' makes me want to create a tunnel between my ears with a handgun.

Bahahaha, I haven't been watching this season. Is this Mack from FeatureWeapons??

If so, God save us all.

Yes....yes it's the same Mack XD

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:53 pm 
Major General

AllianceAsi wrote:
Quote:

If so, God save us all.

The very same. He's not as unbearable as he was in Future Weapons. Then again, he hardly gets an opportunity to talk about how bad ass he is.

Huh? wrote:
Hahaha you are absolutely spot on. Mack I think, on the other hand, is hilarious with his weird ass "whispering" voice. This show is primarily meant for entertainment. It's a sad shame stupid kids these days take this show at face value and think it's all tried and true. "nuh uh you're wrong bob, the spartan would totally rape the ninja because it's been 'scientifically proven' on this tv show" I also don't like that this season is almost FULL of named warriors, i liked it better with generic ones.

Yeah, his patented tactical whispering sort of gets on my nerves, just having seen him so many times on the Military Channel, lol. He's much more bearable on this show, though. It seems that as the seasons progress the show gets better in some regards and falls to crap in other areas. Personally, I liked it best when they had a one on one scenario, before they moved on to a five man team, and eventually to it's contemporary form with 4 regular soldiers and a commander. The multiple teams annoy me because usually each member only uses one weapon and then dies. You can easily predict the victor by paying attention to which weapons have been used, and by the time it gets down to 1 on 1 you can discern it for sure. E.g. on today's episode, when it got down to 1 on 1 it came down to the Carthaginian sword vs. the Mongolian sabre. Since the sabre fared better in the tests, it was a no brainer.