Headlines
Movies
Screenshots
Alliance Community
2011: We're Back!

Alliance: The Silent War

Community Forums for Alliance: The Silent War
It is currently Mon Oct 03, 2022 7:39 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 799 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36 ... 40  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:54 pm 
Corporal

AllianceAsi wrote:
*Technically* none of those human gorillas carried more than a main gun or two in the movie, as far as I can remember :).

Even Predator (unquestionably the most manly movie of all time) featured dudes with one sidearm (in their case, mp5s, since they're such man's men) and one main arm. Let's see how good my memory is- Dutch had an M16A2 with M203, Blaine of course had the M134, Billy (oh Billy!) had an M16A2 with undermount 870, Dylan I think only had his mp5 (after all, he was just along for the ride), the other black member of the squad had an M60, the nerdy dude with the glasses had some monstrous cylinder grenade launcher, and I can't for the life of me recall the other scrawny dude's main weapon.

But, as you'll notice- no one had three!!

Oh...I guess you're right. But what about Arnold in Commando? Didn't he pack like a quad rocket launcher, with an Ak74, a pistol of some sort, and perhaps more?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:47 pm 
Four Star General

Huh? wrote:
AllianceAsi wrote:
*Technically* none of those human gorillas carried more than a main gun or two in the movie, as far as I can remember :).

Even Predator (unquestionably the most manly movie of all time) featured dudes with one sidearm (in their case, mp5s, since they're such man's men) and one main arm. Let's see how good my memory is- Dutch had an M16A2 with M203, Blaine of course had the M134, Billy (oh Billy!) had an M16A2 with undermount 870, Dylan I think only had his mp5 (after all, he was just along for the ride), the other black member of the squad had an M60, the nerdy dude with the glasses had some monstrous cylinder grenade launcher, and I can't for the life of me recall the other scrawny dude's main weapon.

But, as you'll notice- no one had three!!

Oh...I guess you're right. But what about Arnold in Commando? Didn't he pack like a quad rocket launcher, with an Ak74, a pistol of some sort, and perhaps more?

I'll give you that. But if we're granting players that option, every enemy has to look like this:

complete with chain mail and molester stache. If you're cool with it, we are :)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:54 pm 
Corporal

Ahahahahahaa, if i could look like that much of a douche bag in real life, i would never need a Halloween costume.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:29 am 
Master Sergeant

One of them had two MP5s.

I think AA was onto something. If you had two shoulder arms you couldn't use grenades / sidearms.

That kind of tradeoff is a solid idea (you're limited in what you can do if you have two big guns) I think.

Probably also movement penalties.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:43 am 
Four Star General

re: movement penalties. We're usually not a fan of many binary effects in games. I.E. games where you add a single pound more to your pack and now you're suddenly encumbered and can't run. Whether the effect of something is linear, or exponential, most things in real life have a smooth, continuous progression between two states rather than an instant transition.

As such, your entire equipment loadout (down to the bullet) will factor into your encumbrance in Alliance. In this case, encumbrance or weapon switching time might have an extra factor added to it if you have two very large weapons. This is assuming that carrying two primaries survives play-testing.

Pre-emptive clarification: The previous statement should NOT imply that John Woo / akimbo-style dual wielding will be in Alliance. I might love Hard Boiled to no end, but there are no plans to add that to Alliance.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:49 am 
Corporal

yeah John Woo style gameplay has no real place in a realistic FPS shooter that's about the history of firearms rather than the extreme style of media shootouts.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:06 am 
Four Star General

I thought Hard Boiled was the the history of firearms :)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:56 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel

The .50 Beowulf

Not so much a different weapon, but a conversion kit that allows a weapon to fire a .50 cal cartridge. Hopefully there will be parts of the game that involve hard targets, for example stopping a car.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:03 pm 
Private

Another suggestion would be a big bore single shot type rifle as seen in the begining of FPS Russia's video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbsgHbXu ... re=feedbul

Something with super heavy damage and penetration capabilities, but is single shot and with iron sights (and the heavy recoil). Could make for interesting situations. Could an entrenched machine gun hold off a squad of guys with these?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:50 pm 
Four Star General

Large caliber, anti-materiel rifles will definitely be included in the WarStudio (one is already in the confirmed weapons thread). Conversion kits and varying calibers will end up being influenced by how much art (if any) we'd need to change for any individual one. We're obviously prioritizing our resources so that we have as many unique weapons as possible.

Moody wrote:
Another suggestion would be a big bore single shot type rifle as seen in the begining of FPS Russia's video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbsgHbXu ... re=feedbul

Something with super heavy damage and penetration capabilities, but is single shot and with iron sights (and the heavy recoil). Could make for interesting situations. Could an entrenched machine gun hold off a squad of guys with these?

You sir, are a sick, wonderful man! This is exactly the type of madness we expect the WarStudio to encourage.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:09 pm 
Captain

With how the games are now Alliance is going to have to keep up on add-on's (optics etc) But would I'd love to see are the add-on's through the years. The first night vision optics etc not that great but would really add a lot of detail and even more history. Obviously to keep adding more and more stuff would make it impossible for the game to ever come out but patches for the game later on or even expansion packs could make a whole new world for the game as far as multi-player goes. Just having the FAL in the game and it not being a total fail like in MW2 makes me drool :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:17 pm 
Four Star General

Yeah, and the fal in our pre-pre-alpha video is nowhere near being accurately represented. The final product should be.

As for your optics point, I had already made our NVG shaders in a way that supports varying color/intensity ramps, clarity, and noise. The point being that we could match the real units across time periods to the best of our ability.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:25 pm 
Four Star General

Bigdaddy wrote:
Obviously to keep adding more and more stuff would make it impossible for the game to ever come out but patches for the game later on or even expansion packs could make a whole new world for the game as far as multi-player goes.

Let's just say this new version will be on a "rolling release"...

:)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:33 pm 
Captain

AllianceEric wrote:
Yeah, and the fal in our pre-pre-alpha video is nowhere near being accurately represented. The final product should be.

As for your optics point, I had already made our NVG shaders in a way that supports varying color/intensity ramps, clarity, and noise. The point being that we could match the real units across time periods to the best of our ability.

Wow very nice indeed sir. Once the testing starts it will be easier to make more suggestions, because I'll have the something to base my suggestions on obviously. But being able to change every detail to your weapon seems to be a HUGE deal in all current FPS's games. If I could help you guys make this game I would but I don't know code or anything of that sort to help XD.
AllianceAsi wrote:
Bigdaddy wrote:
Obviously to keep adding more and more stuff would make it impossible for the game to ever come out but patches for the game later on or even expansion packs could make a whole new world for the game as far as multi-player goes.

Let's just say this new version will be on a "rolling release"...

:)

Roll right into the history books you mean! :D

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:19 pm 
Corporal

Speaking of customization, there was something I saw at E3 that blew my mind. Ghost Recon Future Soldier's new weapon customization looks absolutely amazing. If Alliance could have something of that caliber with its number of guns.... orgasms all around for gun junkies!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmqkpxoffFc

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:48 pm 
Four Star General

We will. The thing about GRFS is that it's all for show. You switch around all these parameters (down to the gas system) and it makes your "Damage" or "Accuracy" go from 4 bars to 5 bars or some other inane thing. Notice how pointless the demo is after he changes things around.

All due respect, but these games are made by non-shooters for non-shooters. It was a neat concept, but we're planning something both much more in depth and a lot more functional.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:50 pm 
Captain

AllianceAsi wrote:
We will. The thing about GRFS is that it's all for show. You switch around all these parameters (down to the gas system) and it makes your "Damage" or "Accuracy" go from 4 bars to 5 bars or some other inane thing. Notice how pointless the demo is after he changes things around.

All due respect, but these games are made by non-shooters for non-shooters. It was a neat concept, but we're planning something both much more in depth and a lot more functional.

Best wet dream ever!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:01 pm 
Four Star General

I'll see you one wet dream and raise you another. Gran Turismo devs undoubtedly put in a lot of time behind the wheel in pursuit of the perfect product.

We strive to be no different:

http://vimeo.com/8682619

And you all thought we were on vacation these past few years... :)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:07 pm 
Corporal

^ that was bloody fucking awesome. I've always wanted to go to gun shows.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:22 am 
Captain

haha that was sick man. I've fired a .50cal a few times (actually why i lost 60% of my hearing in my right ear) but the dual .50's was pure sex lol

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 799 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36 ... 40  Next