Alliance: The Silent War
https://www.alliancethegame.com/community/

The OICW
https://www.alliancethegame.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=651
Page 1 of 2

Author:  #//neostyles.CD [ Sat Feb 17, 2007 12:44 pm ]
Post subject:  The OICW

if I haven't misunderstood, it's scope on top is a combo of night vision, infrared, etc.

It also automatically sights in targeets for the grenade launcher, facilitating the trajectory and detonation. So, basicaly, it explodes wherever the enemy is. What's more you can fire around corners.

I'de like to see all it's capabilities represented in Alliance.

Author:  Bigdaddy [ Sat Feb 17, 2007 1:35 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: The OICW

.:}_50cA{_|neostyles:. wrote:
if I haven't misunderstood, it's scope on top is a combo of night vision, infrared, etc.

It also automatically sights in targeets for the grenade launcher, facilitating the trajectory and detonation. So, basicaly, it explodes wherever the enemy is. What's more you can fire around corners.

I'de like to see all it's capabilities represented in Alliance.


Why.....and anyway no country even uses it because its not ready for service....and all it is is a piece of bulky plastic sitting on a M-16 lower....To me its worthless it to big and I see no need for it. And actually by infared vision do you mean thermal? If so then no.....it only has Night Vision..(you can turn it off :P )

Author:  #//neostyles.CD [ Sat Feb 17, 2007 3:18 pm ]
Post subject: 

It's capabilities will add a lot to the game.

It's actually not just an M16. It's a completely different assault rifle. It has 5 times the power of an M16 or an M4.

Quote:
And actually by infared vision do you mean thermal? If so then no.....it only has Night Vision..(you can turn it off )

Wrong, accordingt o this, the big bulky scope on the top is actually a combination of a ballistic computer (that coordinates the detonation of the smart shells fired from the grenade launcher), laser range finder, and a thermal image, and finally a compass.

It's clear, that such a flexible weapon would be awesome to use. besides, it would really help to differenciate the scopes. I mean, you've got your aimposts, iron sights, rifle scopes, and then your all in one mega scope. :)

It's a smart weapon and that's something that's never been seen in a game before.

Watch the video.

Maybe there would have to be a server side option to disable OICWs becasue they are so powerful.

Author:  Sturmwehr [ Sat Feb 17, 2007 3:46 pm ]
Post subject: 

The OICW project was cancelled, and it was still in the prototype/experimental stage.

Author:  #//neostyles.CD [ Sat Feb 17, 2007 4:23 pm ]
Post subject: 

Who cares? It'd be a great addition to the game.

The M4 is on the verge of being discontinued. It's old and by the time Alliance comes out, it'll probably be replaced.

Author:  Bidiot [ Sat Feb 17, 2007 5:08 pm ]
Post subject: 

I doub't that The m4 is perfect for the enviorment we are fighting in now. Also units going through Basic an AIT are getting issued m4's now not m16's.

Author:  Bigdaddy [ Sat Feb 17, 2007 5:30 pm ]
Post subject: 

.:}_50cA{_|neostyles:. wrote:
It's capabilities will add a lot to the game.

It's actually not just an M16. It's a completely different assault rifle. It has 5 times the power of an M16 or an M4.

Quote:
And actually by infared vision do you mean thermal? If so then no.....it only has Night Vision..(you can turn it off )

Wrong, accordingt o this, the big bulky scope on the top is actually a combination of a ballistic computer (that coordinates the detonation of the smart shells fired from the grenade launcher), laser range finder, and a thermal image, and finally a compass.

It's clear, that such a flexible weapon would be awesome to use. besides, it would really help to differenciate the scopes. I mean, you've got your aimposts, iron sights, rifle scopes, and then your all in one mega scope. :)

It's a smart weapon and that's something that's never been seen in a game before.

Watch the video.

Maybe there would have to be a server side option to disable OICWs becasue they are so powerful.


The OICW is not 5 times more powerful than an M-16...its uses 5.56 Nato aka the same round as the M-16....ALSO The M-16 and M-4 can both use the 20mm Grenade but only 1 at a time...which most soliders barely even use the m203 anyway.

Author:  Spiffinz [ Sat Feb 17, 2007 6:57 pm ]
Post subject: 

And besides, can you say "weapon whoring"?


That would be the gun that everyone would use, seeing as how you can place a *40mm grenade with pinpoint accuracy :roll:

Author:  Sturmwehr [ Sat Feb 17, 2007 7:05 pm ]
Post subject: 

Bigdaddy wrote:
ALSO The M-16 and M-4 can both use the 20mm Grenade but only 1 at a time...which most soliders barely even use the m203 anyway.


Heh? The M16 and M4 series can't make use of 20mm grenades. Only 40mm with the M203 and XM320.

And, some soldiers prefer the arc of 40mm grenades. With the OICW 20mm component you couldn't, say, fire over a hill or building. The ballistics of the 20mm are much flatter, but you really don't get much in the way of range benefit. There's also more fragmentation and explosive in a 40mm round too. M433 HEDP is pretty damn impressive considering the size of the round. There's also airburst grenades for the 40mm, the M397. There's also that new round with the camera and parachute for the 40mm that was recently on Futureweapons, but the designation escapes me at the moment.

I don't really support the addition of the OICW simply because only prototypes exist. It'd be like having a G11 in-game or something. Not very realistic, because they aren't production weapons. They were neverfielded (I heard reports of G11s being tested in Kosovo, but there's no proof of it), and never issued.

Author:  spm1138 [ Sat Feb 17, 2007 7:38 pm ]
Post subject: 

This is one videogame implementation of the M29:
http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?doc ... ation+OICW

Didn't it get canned though?

I thought they gave up on the combination 20mm smart launcher/G36 rifle combo in favour of the XM25 which is similar but firing a larger 25mm round.

http://www.atk.com/AdvancedWeaponSystem ... s_xm25.asp

From what I have read, the OICW was too heavy and they basically hadn't gotten it to work yet.

You also have to have doubts about the lethality of both of the modules. The rifle component had a VERY short barrel and 20mm is a very light payload even if it is airbursting all of which isn't that impressive for the size of the thing.

I almost think they'd be better off coming up with a computerised sight and a time fused grenade for the existing 40mm launchers if they really want airbursting weapons. A rifle launcher version of this round, say:
http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/ ... /mk285.htm

That way it's a module for existing rifles rather than an entirely new system.

Author:  DerMann [ Sat Feb 17, 2007 7:42 pm ]
Post subject: 

The entire OICW will not be featured. Bits and pieces of it will be.

Author:  adaam93 [ Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:09 pm ]
Post subject: 

DerMann wrote:
The entire OICW will not be featured. Bits and pieces of it will be.


Such as the XM8?

Author:  #//neostyles.CD [ Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:13 pm ]
Post subject: 

Well, I hope the scopeis featured. No other games has ever had a scope that combined so many capabilities.

Quote:
Such as the XM8?

How can you have pieces of the XM8?

Author:  Bigdaddy [ Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:47 pm ]
Post subject: 

Sturmwehr wrote:
Bigdaddy wrote:
ALSO The M-16 and M-4 can both use the 20mm Grenade but only 1 at a time...which most soliders barely even use the m203 anyway.


Heh? The M16 and M4 series can't make use of 20mm grenades. Only 40mm with the M203 and XM320.

And, some soldiers prefer the arc of 40mm grenades. With the OICW 20mm component you couldn't, say, fire over a hill or building. The ballistics of the 20mm are much flatter, but you really don't get much in the way of range benefit. There's also more fragmentation and explosive in a 40mm round too. M433 HEDP is pretty damn impressive considering the size of the round. There's also airburst grenades for the 40mm, the M397. There's also that new round with the camera and parachute for the 40mm that was recently on Futureweapons, but the designation escapes me at the moment.

I don't really support the addition of the OICW simply because only prototypes exist. It'd be like having a G11 in-game or something. Not very realistic, because they aren't production weapons. They were neverfielded (I heard reports of G11s being tested in Kosovo, but there's no proof of it), and never issued.


Sorry I thought they used the same type of grenade :D

Author:  Athenian [ Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:08 am ]
Post subject: 

OICW and the XM8 were both canceled. The M4 and M16 won't be going anywhere anytime soon. They are still the backbone of the US military.

Author:  #//neostyles.CD [ Sun Feb 18, 2007 3:08 pm ]
Post subject: 

Seeing, as how the US has tried numerous alternatives, I think that it's reasonable to assume that they are getting tired of it. It's only a matter of time before they find a satisfactory replacement.

M4 = poo

Author:  DerMann [ Sun Feb 18, 2007 3:44 pm ]
Post subject: 

No, they really don't want to get rid of it, because inorder for the replacement to even be considered, it has to be twice as effective as the M16/M4 family.

Author:  #//neostyles.CD [ Sun Feb 18, 2007 3:53 pm ]
Post subject: 

Doesn't the fact that they've tried 2 replacements with in the last 2 year kind of indicate that they want to can it? So, their attempts have been unsucessful.

Author:  Sturmwehr [ Sun Feb 18, 2007 5:27 pm ]
Post subject: 

.:}_50cA{_|neostyles:. wrote:
Doesn't the fact that they've tried 2 replacements with in the last 2 year kind of indicate that they want to can it? So, their attempts have been unsucessful.


The military tried replacing the 1911 several times, and in 1985, they finally did.


Guess what, they want to switch back to a .45 ACP auto now. :roll:

Author:  #//neostyles.CD [ Sun Feb 18, 2007 5:46 pm ]
Post subject: 

Quote:
The military tried replacing the 1911 several times, and in 1985, they finally did.

Seeing as how we're currently engaged in a war, there is mroe of an incentinve. Lives can be saved.

Wow, irony. War is probably the only situation in which lives can be saved by having bigger guns.

Page 1 of 2 All times are UTC - 5 hours
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/