The War
Headlines
Movies
Screenshots
Alliance Community
2011: We're Back!

Alliance: The Silent War

Community Forums for Alliance: The Silent War
It is currently Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:36 pm




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 7:51 pm 
Offline
Specialist

Joined: Thu May 25, 2006 4:13 am
Posts: 38
Since Halo, most FPS are limiting the number of weapons, usually two. Will there be such a feature in Alliance? Or are we going to have 4D pockets that can carry 200 weapons? If it's the former, how many weapons are we allowed to carry in Alliance?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 12:09 am 
Offline
Staff Sergeant

Joined: Wed May 24, 2006 6:52 am
Posts: 154
Tyrant's Heart wrote:
Since Halo, most FPS are limiting the number of weapons, usually two. Will there be such a feature in Alliance? Or are we going to have 4D pockets that can carry 200 weapons? If it's the former, how many weapons are we allowed to carry in Alliance?



I hope a gun and a pistol...
Now if its a "large" gun we should on be able to carry *that* gun.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 12:12 am 
Offline
Major General
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 24, 2006 6:44 am
Posts: 853
wolfiejr wrote:
Tyrant's Heart wrote:
Since Halo, most FPS are limiting the number of weapons, usually two. Will there be such a feature in Alliance? Or are we going to have 4D pockets that can carry 200 weapons? If it's the former, how many weapons are we allowed to carry in Alliance?



I hope a gun and a pistol...
Now if its a "large" gun we should only be able to carry *that* gun.
I agree.

_________________
Johnny Rico wrote:
This is for all you new people, I only have one rule; everyone fights, no one quits, you don't do your job, I'll kill you myself.......do you get me?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 12:30 am 
Offline
Sergeant First Class
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 22, 2006 11:44 am
Posts: 229
Location: Boston, Ma
Well I say two assult weapons and a pistol, I mean Most weapons have slings(not normaly in combat) but it is a game, But with a say a m249 and an m4, you can easily sling one weapon and shoot with the other.

_________________
Of the troops, For the troops.

Military Police.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 1:01 am 
Offline
Specialist

Joined: Thu May 25, 2006 4:13 am
Posts: 38
Perfect Dark Zero has a "slot" system where you have four slots to fit your weapons. Thus, if it's a big gun it'll occupy two or three slots, or if it's a big-ass anti tank cannon it'll occupy all slots and so on. An "improvement" over Halo, perhaps.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 1:03 am 
Offline
Four Star General
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 12, 2006 5:05 pm
Posts: 1071
Location: New York, NY
We haven't finalized it. But a minimum of a primary weapon and two sidearms. In real life it's very easy to just have a side holster or two for a sidearm, so if you want to carry the extra weight, we'll let you.

We might also make it such that you can carry a second smaller primary weapon slinged, depending on the size of the principle primary weapon and whether or not it can in turn be slinged. Note that doing so would add a LOT of weight, not only because of the extra primary weapon but also the extra ammo, so in most cases it wouldn't be a good idea due to the drawbacks.

Switching weapons will also be more realistic in Alliance than in most FPSes and will usually not be as fast.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 1:11 am 
Offline
Specialist

Joined: Thu May 25, 2006 4:13 am
Posts: 38
Sox34 wrote:
We haven't finalized it. But a minimum of a primary weapon and two sidearms. In real life it's very easy to just have a side holster or two for a sidearm, so if you want to carry the extra weight, we'll let you.

We might also make it such that you can carry a second smaller primary weapon slinged, depending on the size of the principle primary weapon and whether or not it can in turn be slinged. Note that doing so would add a LOT of weight, not only because of the extra primary weapon but also the extra ammo, so in most cases it wouldn't be a good idea due to the drawbacks.

Switching weapons will also be more realistic in Alliance than in most FPSes and will usually not be as fast.


Does making gunplay realistic creates a tactical decision & manuevre in Alliance?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 11:29 pm 
Offline
Four Star General
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 12, 2006 5:05 pm
Posts: 1071
Location: New York, NY
Tyrant's Heart wrote:
Does making gunplay realistic creates a tactical decision & manuevre in Alliance?


What do you mean?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 1:47 am 
Offline
Specialist

Joined: Thu May 25, 2006 4:13 am
Posts: 38
Sox34 wrote:
Tyrant's Heart wrote:
Does making gunplay realistic creates a tactical decision & manuevre in Alliance?


What do you mean?


Since you imply it'll take time to switch between weapons, does this create a tactical scenario for my character?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 2:35 am 
Offline
Staff Sergeant

Joined: Wed May 24, 2006 6:52 am
Posts: 154
Quote:

Since you imply it'll take time to switch between weapons, does this create a tactical scenario for my character?




I hope they make it like this


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 12:15 pm 
Offline
Four Star General
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 12, 2006 5:05 pm
Posts: 1071
Location: New York, NY
Yes, it will make the gameplay actually involve better and more realistic tactics. You won't be switching back and forth between your sniper rifle and smg, such that you can instantly engage anyone at any distance equally effective.

The switch from a slinged primary weapon to a holstered sidearm will be quickest (in that direction).


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 8:25 am 
Offline
Corporal
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 17, 2006 2:29 am
Posts: 86
Location: Kiev, Republic Ukraine
I think that carrying more then one primary gun is not needed, and dont forget that you are a soldier on a battlefield - not a SWAT officer. You have to carry a medpack, a backpack with some food, an infantry shovel, a bayonet, flask with water. And add an armor west for 1980+ scenarios(and army wests are usually heavier then police kevlars).All we need to do is just take combat roles and cooperate with others, just like in real life.

_________________
Game/Level designer/script programmer at Monte Cristo Games


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:58 am 
Offline
Private

Joined: Thu May 25, 2006 11:36 pm
Posts: 11
One primary is just enough. It is not very common to see in any conflict somebody having more than one primary weapon. Usually that would happen if squad mate has been injured or killed so the other soldiers carry his gear rather than leave it on the field.

On side note, I would prefer to have a handgun, knife and maybe frag regardless to what is my primary weapon. However, it is not that big deal.


SW


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:22 pm 
Offline
Corporal
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 26, 2006 12:45 pm
Posts: 79
The only soldiers who tend to carry more than one primary weapon are speicial forces. But I prefer to play as a regular infantry soldier so one primary, a pistol, knife and grenades will do me.

But I definately don't like the situation you have in BF2 where a soldier can have a massive reloadable anti tank weapon and an SMG aswell. Its fine having a light weight disposable anti tank weapon such as a LAW with a primary weapon. But in these situations the devs need to take into account if its realistic and will it unbalance the game?

_________________
Only the dead have seen the end of the war. - Plato


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 6:33 pm 
Offline
Private First Class

Joined: Wed May 31, 2006 6:50 pm
Posts: 15
Location: Idaho Falls
While taking into account location based damage, the Eryx and SRAW are practically worthless in the game. The game is balanced toward the AT men as such. Nothing short of non-conventional warfare could help them.

To the topic: One primary seems to be the consensus and I will contribute my agreeance. I would imagine having two, plus standard equipment, to be disadvantageously unwieldly at best quality (in lack of some fantastic space economy device beyond the binding properties of science).


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 7:19 am 
Offline
Corporal
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 17, 2006 2:29 am
Posts: 86
Location: Kiev, Republic Ukraine
In basic layout, only primary for all pre-198X scenarios, primary and a sidearm for AT-soldiers and snipers after 198X

_________________
Game/Level designer/script programmer at Monte Cristo Games


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 1:22 am 
Offline
Private First Class

Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:35 am
Posts: 28
Bidiot wrote:
Well I say two assult weapons and a pistol, I mean Most weapons have slings(not normaly in combat) but it is a game, But with a say a m249 and an m4, you can easily sling one weapon and shoot with the other.

yep. this is even modeled in the americas army game, which is supposedly real life accurate ( because its made by the army)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 4:03 am 
Offline
Corporal
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 26, 2006 12:45 pm
Posts: 79
You'd really struggle to carry around a M249 and M4, plus all the ammo for them and all your other standard kit.

_________________
Only the dead have seen the end of the war. - Plato


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 6:18 am 
Offline
Major General
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 06, 2006 6:09 pm
Posts: 1312
Location: Texas
The M249 only weighs about 15 pounds (unloaded) , and the M4 is about 6 pounds. That's managable, but by no means heavy.

Carrying around a BAR and a Thompson, on the other hand, would be heavy. The BAR is 20 pounds and the Thompson is about 10 pounds. Plus, the ammo is probably a lot heavier.

I think upto two rifles and pistol, upto two assault rifles/SMG's and a pistol, an LMG and a pistol or carbine, and one would still be able to carry grenades.

And most weapons do have sling slots or loops, so yeah. And even some pistols have lanyard loops so you can wear 'em 'round your neck :D


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:50 am 
Offline
Corporal
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 26, 2006 12:45 pm
Posts: 79
I sincerely hope they don't allow that.

Everyone will be going around with an LMG and assault rifle or an Assault rifle and a sniper rifle. :x

_________________
Only the dead have seen the end of the war. - Plato


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group