The War
Headlines
Movies
Screenshots
Alliance Community
2011: We're Back!

Alliance: The Silent War

Community Forums for Alliance: The Silent War
It is currently Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:55 pm




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Online Play
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:40 pm 
Offline
Sergeant First Class

Joined: Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:29 am
Posts: 270
I know it will be some time before the game is released but I just wanna make a plea for the sake of multiplayer.

There are 3 very necessary if not mandatory things for multiplayer to be successful:

1.) Anti-Cheat, preferrably Punk Buster. I know PB isn't perfect but they have been doing anti-cheat stuff for alot longer than anybody else out there and have a very well set up structure for support by Evenbalance and the community (i.e. Punksbusted and PBBans to name a couple).

2.) Stand Alone Dedicated Server Files, these are necessary becomes the best way to host a mulitplayer game is to rent a server from hosting companies in major hubs (ie Dallas, Chicago). Most hosting companies use rack systems that either don't have room for a video card or charge out the ass in order for them to put one in. With SADS it basically removes the need for a up to date video card in order to host a dedicated server. Dedicated server= Less lag, lower pings and alot more fun.

3.) Some sort of map editor and/or SDK. Though you have already stated that we will be getting pretty much what the you guys have been using to make the game.

1 down and 2 more to go. :)

Considering it's still 2006 I doubt these are a top priority right now but please consider them.

Thank you and have a nice day. :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:59 pm 
Offline
Lieutenant Colonel
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 27, 2006 11:22 pm
Posts: 1826
Location: Hayward, Cali
Game modes?

I would like DM, TDM, CTF, and asault (defend your base.)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 12:19 am 
Offline
Sergeant First Class

Joined: Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:29 am
Posts: 270
This was written mostly for the 3 things I described above. But yeah while we're at it:

TDM: Team Death Match

Siege: One team defends a pre-determined area while the other team has to fight it's way to it and occupy it for a pre-determined amount of time (20-30 seconds is usually pretty good). Helluva goodtime in Ghost Recon. Typically the defending team spawns a little bit closer to the zone but not much.

Not a fan of capture the flag, usually just ends up as a TDM game anyways if there are no respawns, which should be how any gamemode is played.

Not a fan of deathmatch either as it really promotes unneeded camping and the whole idea of multiplayer for me is working as a team to accomplish a goal. Not play Rambo. Don't get me wrong it can be fun but it wears off pretty quickly.

Those are really my two favorites.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 8:01 pm 
Offline
Private

Joined: Fri Jun 30, 2006 2:39 pm
Posts: 12
as for anti-cheat i dont think punkbuster is an ideal choice, sure they've been in business for a long time but i've had plenty of bad experiences with punkbuster. Especially with Battlefield games where i get kicked off a server constantly because the punkbuster update gets screwed up and no matter what you do the problem never seems to go away.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 9:17 pm 
Offline
Major General
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 06, 2006 6:09 pm
Posts: 1312
Location: Texas
I was going to say the same. PB either updates very slowly, or not at all, and results in expulsion from games needlessly. Even though VAC isn't as thorough, I think it's a much more player friendly.

_________________
Image
Head of Zombie Suit Manufacturing, Supplying Guns to the Mentally Stable, Lead Researcher for Weapons, Grand Requisitioner, and Master Keeper of the NZG Armoury.
Whatever happens, we have got
The Maxim gun, and they have not.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 5:08 am 
Offline
Sergeant First Class

Joined: Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:29 am
Posts: 270
LIke I said I know PB isn't perfect but I would rather have random disconnects any day than have a bunch of pathetic losers running around with aimbots and wallhacks.

As far as PB updating, if your having problems updating in game, you can go to the evenbalance website and they have an updating program that will update all PB version for each game. Here's the link to the windows version of the program:

http://websec.evenbalance.com/downloads ... bsetup.exe

it's pretty simple to use.

Me personally I have never had any problems with PB. The benefits of PB outweight the negatives by a large margin. BTW 20% of all accounts made for BF2 have been banned by PB. That's 1 cheater for every 5 players :shock: . Plus you got to realize there are still quite a few that haven't been caught.

So you say PB isn't the best choice. Then who? As far as I am aware there isn't any other AC companies out there. The problem with most game companies and PB is that they wait too long to get PB involved so PB has to find ways to implement PB into an already structed game instead of working with PB to get PB "built into the game" instead of just an addon.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:11 am 
Offline
Private

Joined: Fri Oct 27, 2006 5:27 am
Posts: 11
I like the idea of a "Siege" game, as previously mentioned. Capture the Flag ISNT very realistic.

A defend an area (like the Domination game in Unreal) would be great.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 4:14 pm 
Offline
Major General
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 06, 2006 6:09 pm
Posts: 1312
Location: Texas
Athenian wrote:
LIke I said I know PB isn't perfect but I would rather have random disconnects any day than have a bunch of pathetic losers running around with aimbots and wallhacks.

As far as PB updating, if your having problems updating in game, you can go to the evenbalance website and they have an updating program that will update all PB version for each game. Here's the link to the windows version of the program:

http://websec.evenbalance.com/downloads ... bsetup.exe

it's pretty simple to use.

Me personally I have never had any problems with PB. The benefits of PB outweight the negatives by a large margin. BTW 20% of all accounts made for BF2 have been banned by PB. That's 1 cheater for every 5 players :shock: . Plus you got to realize there are still quite a few that haven't been caught.

So you say PB isn't the best choice. Then who? As far as I am aware there isn't any other AC companies out there. The problem with most game companies and PB is that they wait too long to get PB involved so PB has to find ways to implement PB into an already structed game instead of working with PB to get PB "built into the game" instead of just an addon.


You know, you don't have to go with an established compay. You could always think out of the box and make your own.

However, I know for a fact that PB has actually discouraged me from playing much more than hackers. If it's any sort of decent server, there'll be at least one admin in, and he'll take care of the hacker. Whenever a hacker starts to play, I just say "Oh shit," and try for the best. However, whenever PB disconnects me from a game because it refuses to auto-update, I just close down the game.

_________________
Image
Head of Zombie Suit Manufacturing, Supplying Guns to the Mentally Stable, Lead Researcher for Weapons, Grand Requisitioner, and Master Keeper of the NZG Armoury.
Whatever happens, we have got
The Maxim gun, and they have not.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 4:20 pm 
Offline
Sergeant First Class

Joined: Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:29 am
Posts: 270
If your getting disconnected because PB is failing to update that often, then I doubt it is PB. It is probably something to do with your PC (ie firewall, internet connection). Like I said in any PB game I have never had a problem with PB updating itself. These include Americas Army, BF2, R6: Ravenshield, WarRock, FEAR, Call of Duty 2.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 4:52 pm 
Offline
Major General
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 24, 2006 6:44 am
Posts: 853
I don't like PB because they allow some third party black lists. I made a person that ran one mad and he put me on it.

_________________
Johnny Rico wrote:
This is for all you new people, I only have one rule; everyone fights, no one quits, you don't do your job, I'll kill you myself.......do you get me?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 5:55 pm 
Offline
Sergeant First Class

Joined: Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:29 am
Posts: 270
AeroCmdr wrote:
I don't like PB because they allow some third party black lists. I made a person that ran one mad and he put me on it.


If your talking about the Master Ban List (MBL), well no ONE person can put you on it. The 3rd party blacklists you are talking about are the MBL @ PunksBusted (PsB) and the Master Ban Index (MBI) @ PBBans. The only way to get on those is getting caught cheating. If PB catches you there is no question as to whether or not your are cheating as it only searches for KNOWN cheats.

This is how those 3rd party "black lists" work: A server admin sets up his game server to, what's called stream, to either or both PunksBusted and PBBans. If someone connects to that game server and is caught with a known hack then that persons GUID (linked to their cd-key, IP, game login id) is "streamed" to PsB and/or PBBans and thier GUID is globally banned from any server that is also streaming to those sites. Without those sites PB wouldn't be nearly as effective as it is. Without PsB and PBBans, Punkbuster would merely just autokick you from the server. With the 3rd party sites it stores the info so you can't join any server with an up to date ban list. In other words you have to go buy a new game in order to play online in any Punkbuster enables servers. So basically don't be a TOOL and CHEAT <<<<Any moron can understand that.

I think it's funny when people try and say the only reason they are on it is because they pissed off some rogue admin. That is impossible as I already said: PB puts you on the list, admins don't. PsB and PBBans just keep track of that information so admins don't have to put up with the tards that keep on trying to cheat. Admins have no control over who gets put on any global ban list. The only ban list that admins have control over is their own local ban list that is specific to their personal server and that is reserved for mostly tards who constantly cause problems in the game or don't follow the server rules, not cheaters.

If you really wanna know how this all works go to:

www.punksbusted.com or www.pbbans.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 6:07 pm 
Offline
Major General
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 24, 2006 6:44 am
Posts: 853
Athenian wrote:
AeroCmdr wrote:
I don't like PB because they allow some third party black lists. I made a person that ran one mad and he put me on it.


If your talking about the Master Ban List (MBL), well no ONE person can put you on it. The 3rd party blacklists you are talking about are the MBL @ PunksBusted (PsB) and the Master Ban Index (MBI) @ PBBans. The only way to get on those is getting caught cheating. If PB catches you there is no question as to whether or not your are cheating as it only searches for KNOWN cheats.

This is how those 3rd party "black lists" work: A server admin sets up his game server to, what's called stream, to either or both PunksBusted and PBBans. If someone connects to that game server and is caught with a known hack then that persons GUID (linked to their cd-key, IP, game login id) is "streamed" to PsB and/or PBBans and thier GUID is globally banned from any server that is also streaming to those sites. Without those sites PB wouldn't be nearly as effective as it is. Without PsB and PBBans, Punkbuster would merely just autokick you from the server. With the 3rd party sites it stores the info so you can't join any server with an up to date ban list. In other words you have to go buy a new game in order to play online in any Punkbuster enables servers. So basically don't be a TOOL and CHEAT <<<<Any moron can understand that.

I think it's funny when people try and say the only reason they are on it is because they pissed off some rogue admin. That is impossible as I already said: PB puts you on the list, admins don't. PsB and PBBans just keep track of that information so admins don't have to put up with the tards that keep on trying to cheat. Admins have no control over who gets put on any global ban list. The only ban list that admins have control over is their own local ban list that is specific to their personal server and that is reserved for mostly tards who constantly cause problems in the game or don't follow the server rules, not cheaters.

If you really wanna know how this all works go to:

www.punksbusted.com or www.pbbans.com
I know all about that but that guy said he was going to put my account on it and he did. I started a new one and am past my old ones honor.

_________________
Johnny Rico wrote:
This is for all you new people, I only have one rule; everyone fights, no one quits, you don't do your job, I'll kill you myself.......do you get me?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 6:15 pm 
Offline
Sergeant First Class

Joined: Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:29 am
Posts: 270
Well whatever he did it had nothing to do with PB.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group