Alliance Community
2011: We're Back!

Alliance: The Silent War

Community Forums for Alliance: The Silent War
It is currently Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:56 am

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:54 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel

Post your wishlists here.

Yeah, I'm really cracking down. I want to get everything out of the way because I don't think I'll post much later in the year...

So...

The AI in the trailer didn't look that sophisticated but I'm certain that this aspect of the game will progress.. :D

1) The AI should not cheat. That means It should not be able to see through walls and hear minisucle sounds 20 meters away.

2) The AI should coordinate it's efforts as a team (I tip my hat to thee, F.E.A.R :) )

3) The AI should take cover on harder difficulty settings.

4) The AI should flank you (independent of difficulty setting.)

5) The AI should also have the capability of creating it's own cover, if the circumstances present the opportunity. For example, flip over a table and hide behind it.

6) The AI should have a virtual sense of sight. I'm tired of games where the enemies are looking at you but they don't notice you. If they are turned in your direction, they should notice you. That said, like real life soldiers, they shouldn't be facing the same direction all the time. Although, they might be facing one wayt mroe than others, based on their suspicions or maybe if their roles (like patrol.)

This creates a distinct stealth element.

I haven't really thought about field of view for the enemies though, which would really clarify what it means to be facing in your direction.

7) The AI should have a virtual sense of hearing. Every action that you perform, from reloading to walking should produce sounds of vcerying degrees of discernibility. Louder things will have a greater chance, depending on how far away you are, of alerting enemies to your presense and possiblity locating you, depending on the circumstances.

8) The AI should verbally communicate with each other.

9) The AI should attempt to flush you out with grenades.

10) The AI should melee you if you don't keep your distance. :)

There are two related issues that I wanted to adress.

One is enemy types. Now, in real life, this isn't prominent difference between soldieres, but this is a crucial consideration for a game. YThere should be different types of enemies, each armed with different classes of weapons, who differ in their amounts of armor, different locations of armor (maybe one with a helmet to protect against headshots, and other characteristics.

Another thing that I wanted to discuss is dynamic SP gameplay. Now, this phrase is easily misinterpreted, so let me give you a good example from F.E.A.R (hands down my favorite FPS of all time.) In one part, you are tasked with eliminating the enemies sorrounding a security office. It's a pretty open area, relative to the other indoor areas which are quite claustrophobic. So, either you can go in, guns blazing and it'll be a a hell of a time fighting through them. Or, you can go with plan B. There's an office where you can acess a cieling turret and, depending on how much damage you can do with the turret before it's destroyed, soften up the opposition before going in. Also, you can draw the enemies into certain areas which are tactically advantageous. So, I'de like to a see some similar options in Alliance : Basically having limited control over where engagements occur and how strong the opposition is. Just basically being able to soften them up somehow before heading in. :)

I'de also like Alliance's campaign to present you with many ways of approaching an enemy controlled area. You know, basicaly differnt routes.

Finally, I'de like to see many opportunities for flanking and taking advantage of terrain both in SP and MP.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 12:01 pm 
2nd Lieutenant

my wishlist contains a few things; included in there is that you stop making wishlists. especially wishlists for game/engine capabilities, when the engine is already finished.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 5:24 pm 
Staff Sergeant

For the AI to be smart and think like a human.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 7:02 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel

Colt .45 Killer wrote:
my wishlist contains a few things; included in there is that you stop making wishlists. especially wishlists for game/engine capabilities, when the engine is already finished.

Ever heardof suggestions? That's the whole point : to suggest this early so they have plenty of time to incorperate it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:04 am 
Sergeant First Class

most of the points i agree with,

altho the AI should make its own cover in all dificulty settings,

i have no problem with you making wish lists,

but to be honest you have ALOT a wishes, :P

the AI in stalker promises the vertual hearing and vertual sight, that you talked about! so ill see how that turns out, surly it cant be that hard to iplement

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:33 am 
2nd Lieutenant

is long as they don't stand around like targets i'm fine

Sox's assistant and the number one grunt of the NZG
don't mess with a nation that needs medication

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:32 pm 
Recruit

<3 luney toons guards

looks at u sees you you hide he yells HEY WHATS THAT OVER THERE, maybe another cliche line
and then says something along the lines of must have been the wind, and then u shoot him in the face. anything that isnt this would be awesome

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:26 am 
Corporal

How about AI that makes mistakes,
Based on the difficulty settings and the enemy type (full trained soldier or lowlife mercinary) you should see the enemy making tactical decisions and working together, but also making mistakes. I hate the games where all enemys are like supersoldiers. The shouldnt be able to land a perfect headshot at high distances. The should run and panic if they are losing and get arogant if there winning. That makes the AI feel more human.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:54 am 
Corporal

Speaking of AI, have you guys heard of the new star wars game? It's called Star Wars: Force Unleashed, and it has a shit load of coool ideas, one of them including that the AI has a virtual nervous system. So they'll react to everything in the world realisticly, such as if they're about to fall off a cliff, they'll try to grab on to something. I think Alliance could benefit from something like that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:23 pm 
Sergeant First Class

Huh? wrote:
Speaking of AI, have you guys heard of the new star wars game? It's called Star Wars: Force Unleashed, and it has a shit load of coool ideas, one of them including that the AI has a virtual nervous system. So they'll react to everything in the world realisticly, such as if they're about to fall off a cliff, they'll try to grab on to something. I think Alliance could benefit from something like that.

Yeah sounds pretty cool. The physics engine also looks promising.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:56 pm 
Corporal

Bjorn wrote:
Huh? wrote:

Yeah sounds pretty cool. The physics engine also looks promising.

Yeah my thoughts exactly, except that IGN.com said that the physics weren't applied to all of the objects in the world when they saw a tech demo, but it's still under construction.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 6:00 pm 
Private First Class

Those things are all great, but some of them are pretty expensive performance wise when you consider having to apply them to many AI controlled characters.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:49 pm 
Corporal

Supression.

When fired upon the chance of an AI panicing, running or taking cover is increased.
When fired upon the accuracy of an AI is decreased.

Squad tactics.

When moving the accuracy and alertness of an AI should be decreased.

Buddy buddy tacttics.
One AI flanks runs or advances only when a second AI is covering it from a decent firing position.

When AI no.1 has found a new firing position, AI no.2 now moves up.

If there are no positions of cover to fire from the covering AI should just lie down where he is.

Pair up all AI's. The tactic work's the same in a two man team or in a 40 man platoon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:22 pm 
Staff Sergeant

yeah, it would be cool if a lot of military info like formations and such were in game. I used to see stuff like that in Operation Flashpoint. looking forward to ARMA!!!!