Alliance Community
2011: We're Back!

Alliance: The Silent War

Community Forums for Alliance: The Silent War
It is currently Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:11 am

Post subject: Low spec option
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:56 am 
Lieutenant Colonel

A lot has happened since I first stumbled upon alliance. Namely, I went away to college and unfortunately no longer have my high end gaming comp. Instead I have a modest labtop. To give you a good idea of what this thing can handle, it does well with cs source or bf2 on medium settings. However, I assume a closer match to alliance would be insurgency for hl2. Although, it runs on the same engine cs does, it's wide open, large scale settings prove to be much more of a challenge and I have to turn everything down to low and if I want consistent good frame rates, I also have to dial the resolution back to 800x600. Not that this is really that much of a problem for me. Good graphics are nice, but the game is still very fun even without all the bells and whistles.

So, all that being said, I hope alliance has similar options for those who aren't exactly blessed with the latest hardware. After all, what I really care about is getting my hands on those hundreds and hundreds of weapons. It has been mentioned that alliance will feature a wide range of maps and i suppose that i will be able to run better settings on some of the smaller maps. One thing that alot of newer games seem to be doing is incorporating some sort of streaming technology. Now bear in mind im hardly an expert on things like this, but from what I read about it, sounds like it should make things much easier for people with low end specs.

Post subject: Re: Low spec option
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:27 pm 
Four Star General

Let me put it this way- if you can run BFBC2, you probably stand a good chance of running Alliance.

We know *all* the graphics techniques we're putting in, and virtually all of them have graceful fallbacks for lower end cards. One of the feathers in our cap has been knowing how to use techniques prudently and with an artistic eye to achieve the end result, regardless of what the latest games are shoving down your throat as the next must-have lens flare. Some of our stuff is intensive, some of our stuff is deceptively simple but layers elegantly with everything else. We hate the seven layer bean dip approach where you have to include every latest whiz bang effect and bring your customers' machines to their knees, without a correspondingly huge boost in visual quality. GPU techniques only serve to create the final composed image as cohesively and beautifully as possible- that is our mantra as we develop the visual systems that will go into this. There really is no reason to use a hammer for a thumbtack.

Anyway, soon enough, you'll see ;)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:05 am 
Lieutenant Colonel

Could we be looking at a demon in the not so far future? :)

My card is about as modest as they come though it surprises me sometimes. It should be able to handle bad company 2 on low-medium settings.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:30 am 
Four Star General

I'm in the same boat with my work notebook- I can run BFBC2, but only sufficiently well to play the thing- not really to do a graphics showcase or anything!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:39 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel

Bad company 2 is a notoriously difficult customer. It even taxes my desktop gaming rig. Every time I start up the game, i can hear the fans going into full gear, almost as if my comp just turned into a formula one car. :)

With that being said, here are my specs :
CPU : AMD P320 dual core 2.1 Ghz
GPU : ATI radeon HD4250 mobility
RAM : 3 Gbs