Alliance Community
2011: We're Back!

Alliance: The Silent War

Community Forums for Alliance: The Silent War
It is currently Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:32 am

Post subject: Kickstarter & IndieDB
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:51 am 
Private First Class

You're probably aware but there's a high-profile website for advertising crowd-funded video games out there.

http://www.kickstarter.com/

Moreover the announcement of a "Hardcore Tactical Shooter" on it by some old Ghost Recon devs made the rounds on all the video game forums and has so far gotten $66,000.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/355 ... al-shooter

But this particular project has also come in for some heavy criticism due to lead dev seemingly having little direction, trying to make 2 different games for pc & console, bad pitch video, no visible assets, and above all the Kickstarter fund is to be used to convince other investors to invest, not for making the game.

Another example is the sequel Nexus: The Jupiter Incident (space game). Like you they also had an impressive video from ~2006 and they also went the crowd-funded way. They were actually bigger as they'd already released a game and the franchise had a following. The crowd-funded service they used wilted in the face of Kickstarter but they got up to 5 figures last time I checked it.

I think if you went on Kickstarter with your old Egypt footage you'd get a lot of attention.

Secondly, I have to say I was completely unaware until last week that you had returned. And I follow video game forums populated by gun nuts and video game devs & journos, not to mention random googling of tactical shooters to see if there are any new game mods coming. You may want to put out a press release.

I used to do PR for an indie game and got coverage on Gametrailers, Kotaku, interviews on gaming sites. I also set up this IndieDB page and maintained it for them until last year.

http://www.indiedb.com/games/star-trek-excalibur/

It gets around 15,000 views a month. You may not want to "slum it" with such small projects but larger projects like Interstellar Marines have IndieDB pages and they get the lion's share of coverage & traffic as they're so much better than the small one-man projects.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:57 pm 
Four Star General

All extremely good ideas.

The thing is, and not at all to sound uppity or pretentious, funding is not a problem for us right now. We've considered kickstarter for a long time and may still do it. The problem what that is, it involves quite a bit of disclosure (with all the rewards, milestones, etc.), and we really do want to finish something small, updated, and self contained before we do a formal re-launch or break down of what's coming out. We have sufficient funding right now. Our main task at present is talent acquisition.

Pretty much the same goes for PR. It's not that we are trying and not succeeding, we're intentionally keeping a lowish profile while we toil, toil, toil away, chatting with mostly the oldbies who were here back in the day and wanted a glimmer of hope it's still alive ;)

*When* the time comes...

Oh brother. Expect a PR geyser, much as we did in 2006 when we got to the top spot on GameTrailers, front page of IGN, bla bla bla.

In short, we're months away from harnessing all these great ideas you're mentioning. And I'm not patronizing here- they are great ideas.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:07 am 
Private First Class

AllianceAsi wrote:
*When* the time comes...

Oh brother. Expect a PR geyser, much as we did in 2006 when we got to the top spot on GameTrailers, front page of IGN, bla bla bla.

Speaking of which, do you know when that time will be? It's very lonely on these forums.