Alliance: The Silent War

Community Forums for Alliance: The Silent War
It is currently Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:39 pm

Post subject: Good to be back
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:17 pm 
2nd Lieutenant

'Last visit was: Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:37 pm'

Heh wow.

Never really expected to see this game resurrected.

Out of curiosity, and considering much has changed over the last four years what is the current genre of alliance? These days I am a big fan of the ARMA esque, and perhaps to some extent Red Orchestra 2 ( what it was supposed to be, not its current bastardized state) realism / tactical shooters. I have no expectation of your attempting to knock Arma off its pedestal as a milsim shooter, but I believe there is lots of room in between it and its nearest rivals like BF3 on the scale of relative realism.

Post subject: Re: Good to be back
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:12 am 
Four Star General

You pretty much nailed it. We're going for a (we hope) perfect balance between fluidity and realism. There will, actually, be a mil sim mode which in some respects will be much more robust.

Glad to see you back - I think you were on our "must contact" list!
-AA

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:34 am 
2nd Lieutenant

must contact list? how so?

Either way I am happy to hear that is the intended balance for Alliance, I know that there is a market there which is un explored and definitely exists. As a small caveat, I was really interested in Red Orchestra 2:HOS because it was suppose to be moving on from the first game to make some headway into this gap, however the developers 'streamlined' the game into a bastardization of COD/RO1; as such the player count dwindled from the release day steam numbers of 10,000 to the current 1000 peak player counts. Heck if you get a chance to pick up the game there are some bits of it which are spot on, but much of the game would be a note taking effort of lots of 'definitely don't do this'.

A small bit of backstory ( Incase you gents are un familiar with it ) RO1 was a hardcore realism shooter, RO2:HOS was pitched and marketed to be following in its footsteps. For the most part the marketing stayed true to the fact that there would be a 'realistic' mode and 'relaxed' mode ( the relaxed being a bit easier to acclimatize people ). Upon release it turns out that the game was more of a run and gun game, with lots of Cod esque bits smeared all over it, and the only repreive that realism mode gave was just removing some HUD clutter. I mention this because the game sold very well ( The above mentioned 10,000 player peaks on steam upon release ), so there definitely IS a need in this area of the market. ( Just don't botch it all to hell by having things like bandages that stop wound effects from battle rifles, no inertia on player movement, the ability to stop running & go to Iron sights & make an aimed shot at 100 meters in under half a second, etc )

So where is the project at now? Are you guys still developing on your own engine? ( of course after this much Im guessing the engine needs work )

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:57 pm 
Four Star General

1) We had a list of our top guys from back in the day (DerMann, Bigdaddy, Neo, Spiffinz, AeroCmdr, and a few more), and you were definitely on our list of people to contact and announce the relaunch to! I don't have the list in front of me at the moment, but we were going off of some email address we had for you. In any case, glad you found your way back here!!

2) Yes, it's a fine line to draw and too many games tend to end on the wrong side of it. Super fast bro shooter (basically Quake 3 with pale imitations of real guns) or "grrr, isn't war tough? See how aggravating this game is? Arrrrrr.... it's so hard to move... just like real war!!"

The trick is absolutely to hit it in between. You'll be seeing our alphas in time and get to judge for yourself!

3) We're now building up a team and working on the 0.1 alpha. We will be distributing early and often so you'll get to try it out soon enough. Poke around the newer threads and you'll get a sense for our new plan.

Re: the engine, yes, work is definitely needed, but as you'll see in our update page (/update.php), we had a *lot* of things we didn't get to show the first time around, so it'll be a lot of putting in what we originally wanted and updating some things to bring it up to speed.

Good to see you again!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:28 am 
Lieutenant Colonel

I should mention that since way back in 2006 when I first discovered the game (ahh memories.) my hardware has actually taken a step backwards. After high school graduation, I got a job and upgraded my computer with a fairly decent card, but then I went away to college and my gaming rig never made it. Im on a labtop with an integrated ati 4250 chip. I atleast hope that there will be a "low" setting of some sort so I can atleast play on some of the small maps. For me, being able to get my hands is on oodles of authentic goodness is a more important than eye candy..

I know have a credit card too so let me see if I can go about contributing $5 or so..

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:09 pm 
2nd Lieutenant

ahh yes, I could understand not being able to reach me. Way back in 2006 Canada.com ( a news site ) had an email service that I used, I think they stopped offering it back in 2009 or something. I had to submit a ticket through the forums that I think eric handled to reset the email address of this account.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:36 pm 
Captain

Ah yes Colt .45 good to have you back sir!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:44 am 
2nd Lieutenant

Fellow gun nut, it is good to be back :) .

Tis funny though, your sig; and how true it is. Especially recently with some of the debates related to gun politics in Canada...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:44 pm 
Captain

Colt .45 Killer wrote:
Fellow gun nut, it is good to be back :) .

Tis funny though, your sig; and how true it is. Especially recently with some of the debates related to gun politics in Canada...

Yes I agree. Although the NRA has been breaking a lot of ground lately in a lot of states, but it's still a challenge to get anything done lol.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:09 pm 
2nd Lieutenant

Canada really hasent formed up into one group such as the NRA yet, we have two groups the CSSA (Canadian Sport Shooters Association) and the National Firearms Association.

The main problem up here ( atleast over the last 30 years ) has been the prevelance of Ontario and Quebec in deciding country wide policy. Quebec hates guns mostly due to the anti gun lobby never endingly dragging the names of the students who have been killed there in two particular shootings. both of them by crazy men, one a muslim misogynist who only shot women after ordering the men to leave the room. Of course the only logical result of two crazies such as that is to remove firearms from everyone :roll:

Im crossing my fingers that all of the states will enact CCW laws, as the states that have have seen dramatic reductions in crime. Right now there is still a stigma up here that guns beget 'ehMerickuah' where crime is rampant ( really isnt ), and that CCW only increases crime ( which it doesnt ). When CCW is legal country wide in the states that BS argument wont hold any water anymore ( Not like Wendy Cukier holds any ATM anyways..).

Its not like I want to be a vigilante, I just despise the cowardice of someone with body guards who lobbies for the rights of individual citizens to not be able to defend the one piece of property they are sovereign over. Themselves.

So hows the gun collection with you then? :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:43 am 
Captain

Well...when I left for the Army let's just say I should have changed the combination to the safe, because my ....mom decided she needed money and sold every gun I owned. Oh and ALSO at the time that she sold them (i had no idea) She could have gotten $1000 if not more for my SLR-105...she sold it for $300 :cry: :cry:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:45 pm 
Sergeant First Class

Woo, Good to be back indeed!!!

I thought i'd check on the page to see if this would ever kick back off (now that my other beloved game S.T.A.L.K.E.R. has been canned)

Good to be back guys glad to see most of the old gang is sill interested

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:05 pm 
Four Star General

scradge wrote:
Woo, Good to be back indeed!!!

I thought i'd check on the page to see if this would ever kick back off (now that my other beloved game S.T.A.L.K.E.R. has been canned)

Good to be back guys glad to see most of the old gang is sill interested

Thanks man! This group will form the core nucleus of the soon to be risen Alliance 2.0 army :)

Tell your friends!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:47 pm 
2nd Lieutenant

btw, dont leave.. but stalker 2 has not been canned.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:29 am 
Private First Class

So it's been a year since Alliance "came back" and not a single bit of news or media since. Coupled with the comment that you most likely won't have anything to show until 2013 why did you come back now?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:36 pm 
Four Star General

temp89 wrote:
So it's been a year since Alliance "came back" and not a single bit of news or media since. Coupled with the comment that you most likely won't have anything to show until 2013 why did you come back now?

Once we knew we could arrange everything and get the company/team working again, we wanted to tell our original fans as soon as possible. But we didn't want to make any promises on which we couldn't deliver. So there you have both the announcement and the current forecast.

Stick with us- good things a coming!
-AA

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:30 pm 
Master Sergeant

Wow I can't believe it. When I heard that Alliance was being put on the back burner years ago I figured it was the end of the line for it... and here there are forces at work. I for one am glad of it.