Alliance Community
2011: We're Back!

Alliance: The Silent War

Community Forums for Alliance: The Silent War
It is currently Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:35 pm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:54 pm 
Master Sergeant

Well I don't disagree about guns.ru, but conversely nowhere am I reading that the M1A1 was closed bolt.

I mean accuracy on the first shot just wasn't what 2nd and 3rd generation SMGs were about really, was it?

They were mostly meant to be cheap and easy to manufacture, lightweight, compact, bullet hoses.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:07 pm 
2nd Lieutenant

not really, the later versions of the tommy gun like the m1a1 were modified to be easier to produce, earlier versions with the foregrip were of much better quality: things like the cooling fins on the base of the barrel on earlier tommies were scrapped on later models. i would say that the 1928 tommy is on a level equal to the ump45 smg. however, if i was out of ammunition, i would much rather have a metal and wood smg then a plastic thingy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:36 pm 
Major General

I'd say the M1928A1 Thompson is still of much higher quality than the UMP. The sheer size fo the Thompson really nulls out a lot of the recoil. Also, if I recall correctly, it has both a peep and ladder sight for all kinds of shooting, while the UMP is too light and short to reduce recoil as effectively as the Thompson and it only has the crazy H&K Diopiter sights. Also, since the Thompson has a longer barrel, it is going to be more accurate.

The only downside about the Thompson M1928A1 is the compexity, thus leading to jamming problems. However, if you treat your Thompson well, it will treat you well - or at least I imagine.

The Maxim gun, and they have not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 8:35 am 
Corporal

I've tried both, one after the other.
There's nothing in it.

I like the Thompson more. Not for any superior ability but because of the wood.

The .45 Thompson makes bigger holes, but 9mm is a more lethal round. Thompsons are available in both.

I would suggest that any decreased controllability from a superior fire rate is directly countered by it's increased weight. I can't see how the difference in fire rate is going to make any particular difference in combat. It's not like it's mounted on an aeroplane or being used as a fire support weapon.
You point it you pull the trigger and enough bullets come out to kill your enemy. 3 bullets or an average of 3.11 bullets? Who cares?
If we were playing Top Trumps an increased fire rate would make my gun win. But in terms of shooting stuff, it's irreleveant to all but stability.

Both weapons are stable.

The Thompson was more prone to jamming. I'm not sure if this is a design issue or just the age of the individual weapon I was using. Neither weapon jammed while I was using them, although the owners did express concern about the Thompson.

Closed bolt and open bolt is utterly irrelevant to accuracy at ranges of 50 yards. In fact it's irrelevant to accuracy in all automatic fire situations. If you want that kind of accuracy single shot is a necessity and the differences between closed and open bolt will not become apparent for hundreds of metres.

Closed bolt preferred for sharpshooting.

The other notable difference between closed and open bolt systems, is that closed bolt weapons are more prone to jamming, and open bolt more dangerous to the operator during cataclysmic misfire.