Headlines
Movies
Screenshots
Alliance Community
2011: We're Back!

Alliance: The Silent War

Community Forums for Alliance: The Silent War
It is currently Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:29 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 616 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 31  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 7:58 am 
Private

Sox34 wrote:
Thanks for the kudos. Yes, we're currently only a full time team of 8 people. :)

However, there's one misconception that I wanted to clarify. The program(s) that you mention that do all that wonderful stuff automatically for us, we coded. Thus, we are not using an automatic set of tools that let us just put our game together, we actually built the engine ourselves. We've put in long hours writing the C++ code that runs the Alliance Engine, save for certain external libraries of course.

What saves us time on the art asset side is that we took a lot of care to create easy to use tools for our artists, such as the sliders and such that you mentioned. However those tools still needed to be created and polished, which we've taken the time to do ourselves with lots of input from our artists along the way.

In sum, yes the artists tools are very easy to use, but they still took us a considerable amount of effort to create and make them easy to use. The results speak for themselves though. :D

Oh damn. I have no experiance in the c++ language nor the basic language things for programming, so that's why I look forward to people like you guys to make ready made programs. I doubt I'll have any chance to make a game because I'm sure it includes programming with these languages...

Related to the programming thing with C++, since I have no idea nor experiance whatsoever in these things, what makes the game tick and how the gameplay flows differently each time. I'm saying that since it's all next gen types of games coming out that look better than some others, ususally, in them the gameplay flows very differently each time or during gameplay. Not like scripted games where everything around you is nothing but the enviroment and all the gameplay is just scripted, so every time, everything is predictable. What I'm trying to say is that the script in the game that makes the gameplay what it is, since I see that 8 of you can make a damn good program --- WindLight --- then I was thinking of a utility based in the game that generates code of scipt as you play, something more of the unexpected.

By generating code, I mean that everything that is already to get tested or confirmed as good to go can be modified by this generator. I am saying that some type of utility in the game that generates your gameplay. Ahh damn, I need to clear this out with examples:

Let's say the first time you play, you feel the first time as it will be always. But the unexpected happens --- such as enemy rienforcements or support coming in, and taking over your positions, therefore thinking and planning is required, which the player does on his/her own in his/her brain, but while that is going on, the gameplay changes.

The next time you play, it's different. Plus I heard something about the US governement being able to create some porgram or device that is able to take anyone's speech patterns and just say something that sounds exactly like they would say it, hence taking their voice. This is another feature that can be added.

It's like text to speech, type in a couple of hundred sentances and a couple of thousand words, and put that device into play, with the code generator thingy, one second, you're on your way to an objective while another second, the unexcpected happens, the objective is sabotaged, which leads you to another objective, and the code of script generator creates that for you, while the voice copying thingy gives you radio signals for a certain charachter of ways to get to that objective.

Oh damn.

Ok, I'll narrow it down.

A utility which makes creates gameplay using the current everything and makes the unexcpected happen so gameplay will always be different using the same of what you have around you, and it's all thanks to the utility.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 1:24 pm 
Four Star General

A text to speech mechanism will not be included with Alliance.

At the core of it, just about every game works of a script. What differens is how detailed the script is and what level of autonimous control the enemies and friendlies have. So for example, you could have a script that controls every character's actions (friendly or foe) down to in what order they move where, and where are they looking, when do they shoot, etc. This would play exactly the same way each time.

Alternately, a game could have a script that tells enemies to spawn in a certain area and guard it or hunt the player down and leave the actual low level decisions to the AI. This, depending on the AI, could be a completely different experience each time.

We are not structuring Alliance like the former.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 3:59 am 
Corporal

Just wondering will this game feature classes, such as Sniper, Medic, Engineer, Machine Gunner, Grenadier etc?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 4:22 am 
Recruit

As far as I can tell there are no specific 'classes' per se, merely the different types of equipment you choose to carry into the field. Want to be a sniper? Fir a scope to your favorite rifle. Want to assault an enemy position? Strap on some body armour and grab an SMG or carbine.

All depending on the gear thats available of course and I could well be wrong about it :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:51 am 
Four Star General

Foxman is right. There will not be explicit classes, just WarStudio weapon load-outs. However server admins will be able to restrict certain types of load-outs if they wish, similar to how other games handle restricting classes (max of three players per team with heavy machine guns, sniper rifles, etc).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 4:54 am 
Corporal

Sox34 wrote:
Foxman is right. There will not be explicit classes, just WarStudio weapon load-outs. However server admins will be able to restrict certain types of load-outs if they wish, similar to how other games handle restricting classes (max of three players per team with heavy machine guns, sniper rifles, etc).

Will weapons like sniper rifles and anti tank weapons be able to be limited? A server with 10 snipers or multiple soldiers armed with Anti tank weapons can become a real nightmare to play on. Move dead, respawn, move dead, respawn etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 12:24 pm 
Four Star General

Yes, that's actually exactly what I meant.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 2:50 am 
Corporal

What things have yet to be finalised with regards the gameplay?

As you are asking for suggestions it'd help us to know this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 2:38 pm 
Four Star General

Just about everything has been finalized (as finalized as they can be with the amount of development still left to be done). However, what we can't do is confirm everything just yet, both for PR/secrecy reasons and to ensure that everything behaves to our liking.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 3:06 pm 
2nd Lieutenant

It's probably too early to ask this but i'm gonna anyway.

How many multiplayer maps will this game have and can we expect geting more through patchs later on after the game is out ?

Sox's assistant and the number one grunt of the NZG
don't mess with a nation that needs medication

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:06 am 
Four Star General

darkdragon wrote:
How many multiplayer maps will this game have and can we expect geting more through patchs later on after the game is out ?

Way to early to say on the former. Yes, we'll probably release more as time goes by post-release.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 2:50 pm 
2nd Lieutenant

:lol: thank i knew it was to early but the question was buging me

Sox's assistant and the number one grunt of the NZG
don't mess with a nation that needs medication

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 3:05 pm 
Four Star General

Don't worry about it. That's exactly what this thread is for.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:42 am 
Private

I'm not sure if this has been asked elsewhere, but will this be on the Xbox360 at all or just strictly PC?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:24 am 
Four Star General

Since we're currently in talks with publishers, it's being developed on the PC for the time being. However, release on the 360 might, maybe, could-be possible. Wink. Wink.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:39 pm 
Private

You just made my day, my friend.

Post subject: Dual pistols?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 11:09 pm 
Recruit

Will you be able to go akimbo? Cause dual SIG SAUER P226's would pwn. Im sorry this is a noob ques but i just found about this game on an AA forum and i was wondering is this gonna be a rambo game ala HL2? or a more tactical based game as in rainbow six .. or even a COD 2 ish game with a team thats 87% scripted. But i know this isnt the request page but Akimbo will be aswome no matter if this is a realism game or not, THX

EDIT: I am going to buy this game 3 times when it comes out to make u guys some money. This is the only game that ive seen with ssuch good Devs. This game is already a must buy just because of the loyalty u guys have. Keep it up aftr its released and it will be great (unlike ubisoft who wont fix their damn GRAW from crashing on over 12,000 pplz PC's and just ignore it cause they got our money n were fucked) Have a good one n i hope yall get rich off this game cause u deserve something

Peace,
Neo 96, 52, and 26 honor

btw: xfire is vowsneo if anyone wants a add

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 11:48 pm 
Corporal

Whats akimbo? If you mean be able to wield dual pistols then no you won't.

It was decided to be unrealistic and more than likely will be left out.

Post subject: Various questions
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 11:29 am 
Master Sergeant

I just heard about this game, and saw some in game footage and wanted to say this looks like a great piece of work. But i did have some questions and didn't see them asked before so forgive me if the answers were posted before.

What kind of Single Player modes will be available? Even with a Broadband connection i don't tend to enjoy MP. As a result games with robust Single Player options have a great impact on the replay value of a title. Operation Flashpoint, custom mission creator, and even Rainbow Six's "tango hunt" go a long way for people like me. I've read that in MP people will be able to make all kinds of various situations by allowing and restricting the available arsenal. Will there be a non story SP mode that would allow a player to make a similar Single Player situation. - I'd like to be able to go back and replay a level i've completed... but with no restrictions on the firearms avaiable and change the time of day, weather, even the loadouts on the bad guys.

I know it was mentioned earlier in the thread, but in the gameplay trailer the "tactical reloading" of the FN-FAL includes animations a partial mag being removed, and new one being inserted and the weapon being recocked, which seems to contradict your earlier statment. Is the trailer old, unfinished, or was this realistic feature droped.

Also in reguards to reloading, are there any weapons planned that aren't magazine fed, like shotguns or revolvers? If so how is the reloading procedure being handled. In some games (BF2 for example) once the reloading is started, the entire animation must finish before the weapon can be fired. In other games you can interupt this process and stop the reloading if you find yourself in a in a bad situation.

Post subject: Thanks
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 1:15 pm 
Recruit

Ok you helpped about the Akimbo's. Thats fine, but i am just glad that they made the ballistics right i want o use pistols as primary weapons ala Rainbow Six lockdown id run around in ter. hunt with a beretta and own. I love pistols, i dont know its just every FPS besides fear basically tells u that u have to shoot a guy 7 times with a pistol but oonce with a rifle. A pistol is just as damaging at mid to short range. Thx for the answer there man.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 616 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 31  Next