Headlines
Movies
Screenshots
Alliance Community
2011: We're Back!

Alliance: The Silent War

Community Forums for Alliance: The Silent War
It is currently Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:27 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 616 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 31  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 9:58 pm 
Recruit

Will the game feature different warheads\grenade types for grenade launchers and rocket launchers?

Example: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RPG-7 . In the "specifications" section there's a list (half of which that I've added wiki myself :P) of all of the most common types of warhead, each with a different effect. Will we able to choose, depending on the situation?

Also, will we have death messages?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 7:10 am 
Corporal

Yeah it'd be cool to have an M79 with different round types such as HE, Smoke, Parachute flares and buck shot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 2:03 pm 
Recruit

OK, I think this is the right thread for this.

I won't ask for a release date, but what I do want to know is how much you've done and what else there is to do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 6:21 pm 
Sergeant First Class

i have a question about the terrain and cities.

in the videos we see whole big city areas, are those cities entirely modeled?

for instance, on a mission would i have a somewhat linear path, or could i go anywhere in that city and make my own path?

also, to what extent are buildings enterable, obviously mission related buildins are, but what about hte rest, are some enterable, some not etc or what?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 11:54 pm 
Four Star General

There will be multiple round types for most weapons, grenade launchers included. It's too early to get into more specifics though, sorry.

If we had to choose an overall percent of completion for where we are now, it would be about 40%.

You will not be able to go into all buildings. The levels will be neither fully open ended, nor purely linear. I can't elaborate until we're further into development and have done more playtesting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 11:56 pm 
Staff Sergeant

Will we have different *chat commands* to yell out *need medic* *need ammo* etc.

wolfiejr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 12:07 am 
Four Star General

wolfiejr wrote:
Will we have different *chat commands* to yell out *need medic* *need ammo* etc.

Probably, but you'll also be able to mute people to keep the annoying players from driving you insane.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 12:08 am 
Staff Sergeant

Sox34 wrote:
Probably, but you'll also be able to mute people to keep the annoying players from driving you insane.

Thank you lol

wolfiejr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 10:50 pm 
Corporal

I have a question on violence. What kind of "violence system" or whatever will you be using? If you hit a guy with a .50 caliber machinegun, will he possibly lose pieces of himself? Or will he fall over dead on a pool of blood? If you shoot say, an RPG and hit a person, will they lose limbs? Or will he go flying, all ragdoll style?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:21 am 
Four Star General

Blowing chunks or limbs off of people will probably not be done, even though in *certain* cases it would actually be realistic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 1:44 pm 
Corporal

Shame it seems a bit of a cop out to 'sanitise' a game based on war.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 3:48 pm 
Four Star General

Ratings and foreign laws do come into play a bit, though the main reason to not do so is technological. It simply would require a lot of work to get it looking both nice and realistic (both things that we wouldn't want to compromise on), so it simply isn't a priority at the moment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:02 pm 
Major General

Quick question about Alliance, will you be able to take a gun where it does not belong, for example, will I be able to take an old German Gew 98 to say, a modern conflict? Or vice-versa, take like an M249 machinegun back to WWI?

Sorry if this question has already been asked, or if its an obvious feature of the game, im not the most obsevant person :(

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:11 pm 
2nd Lieutenant

in single player you can use any gun that was made befor the or at the date your playing in

here the quote

Sox34 wrote:
Alliance itself doesn't involve time travel, so you'll only be able to use weapons available at the time (or earlier weapons of course) during each time period. In multiplayer however, you will be able to go nuts with what-if scenarios, such as many, many WWI bolt-action rifles vs. a lesser number of M4s, etc, etc.

Sox's assistant and the number one grunt of the NZG
don't mess with a nation that needs medication

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:14 pm 
Major General

oh, thanks for clearing that up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 12:21 am 
Captain

Now I have seen the vids and this game looks like the shit...anyway Will you be able to have kevlar and if so choose what level of kevlar you have ...1,2,3, or 4?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 1:42 am 
2nd Lieutenant

Sox34 wrote:
We're not ready to get into the nitty gritty with regards to armor, but there will be different types of armor in Alliance (can't get more specific than that at the moment).

http://alliancethegame.com/community/vi ... .php?t=151

hope that answers your question

Sox's assistant and the number one grunt of the NZG
don't mess with a nation that needs medication

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:53 am 
Captain

Thanks very much :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:21 pm 
Private

I read somewhere that the development team is like only 8 people. And damn does the game look great already!

I guess it's that easy to make because the program they're using is easy to operate, I mean there is no scripting or java or basic or whatever, the program is already made for the game to be made, such as moving this leveling thingy from left to right changes the patterns of the clouds as we saw in some of the movie, so the program might have like an extra advanced costumizing thingy so the settings for the leveling will turn what we saw in the clouds to something different...

No offense or anything to the team, I am not saying they aren't able, but seriously, excellent and easy program plus skilled developers equals great game, no matter how much you've got of 'em...

Good Job!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:45 pm 
Four Star General

Thanks for the kudos. Yes, we're currently only a full time team of 8 people. :)

However, there's one misconception that I wanted to clarify. The program(s) that you mention that do all that wonderful stuff automatically for us, we coded. Thus, we are not using an automatic set of tools that let us just put our game together, we actually built the engine ourselves. We've put in long hours writing the C++ code that runs the Alliance Engine, save for certain external libraries of course.

What saves us time on the art asset side is that we took a lot of care to create easy to use tools for our artists, such as the sliders and such that you mentioned. However those tools still needed to be created and polished, which we've taken the time to do ourselves with lots of input from our artists along the way.

In sum, yes the artists tools are very easy to use, but they still took us a considerable amount of effort to create and make them easy to use. The results speak for themselves though. :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 616 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 31  Next